Adjustable shocks

gillj

My 91 pathy has a switch that i assume is for making the ride softer or firmer

How does this work

is there a compresser for the stock shocks (wich are no longer on the rig)

The manuals that i have say nothing about it

-study-

Yep, you must have the sport/power package on your '91 as do I. These should be electronically dampened in the shocks themselves. I didn't take mine apart when I replaced them a year or so ago. But there isn't any air line to any of them just the water tight connectors. Do yourself and your tires a favor and change your shocks. You won't believe the difference it makes whether you're on the street on off-road.

You should notice a "stiffer" feel when the "sport" selector is engaged and a "softer" feel for the touring. It's more of a gimmic than anything else and definately not worthy of NISMO repalcement parts in my opinion. Go get some Rancho's, Monroes, Bilstein, etc. that suit your wallet and your driving habits.

JMTC

M

yeah, i dunno, i have that option as well and i never felt any difference :shrug:

The guy I bought my truck from pointed that out to me too -- which is worrysome -- cause unless he replaced the shocks with the OEM nissan ones it means the same shocks have been on my truck for the past 277,000 miles :blink:

My truck is in DIRE need of shocks -- crap

naw deej, strictly for shock absorber control. it even has a lil picture of a shock

OK thanks.

So are you guys just replacing these shocks with stiffer shocks?

don't go with monroes... great on car but not pathy's

I agree, I'm not too impressed with my Munroes. They haven't broke though........yet ;)

Guest whitebb

Monroes suck. I just bought my 97 R50, and the Sensatracs were replaced November 2004.( as per the invoice in the glovebox). After driving it it seemed skiddish and drove worse than a 70's GMC. I pulled all the shocks and struts, and all were dead. (compress them, and they didn't rebound. One wouldn't compress even with my weight on it) i would have gone KYB, but wanted to get the job done fast and cheap, so went with Gabriel Ultras. Hope they are good.

I notice a HUGE difference between sport and touring settings on my pathy. I actually drive with sport on almost all the time. It reduces body roll (to almost none!), and definatly stiffens up the ride.

Before I got my ball joints replaced it didn't seem to make a difference which setting I choose but now the difference is definatly noticable.

• 3 weeks later...

My 94 SE has the power shocks...or should I say "HAD"...I thought they were cool, but I replaced them with ranchos and my ride is MUCH, MUCH better, just not electronicly adjustable anymore. The shocks just have an electric wire that stiffens the shocks on sport.

In the interest of education:

Monroes are built by Tenneco, as are Rancho. So be careful with global statements about good or bad. Most companies offer a range of products, from cheap to good. If you buy the cheap, don't expect the good.

Unless a shock is gas charged, it will not self extend - it will just try to resist movement from where it's at. A shock is not a spring - it's a damper.