Automatic Having Hard Time To Shift?

armelius1

Check to see if your power shift button is depresed, it's the button on the shifter. If it is depressed the orange "Power" light should be on, located on the dash to the left of the steering wheel next to the AT Temp warning light.

If that's not the case, then do you have a lead foot? Pressing the gas peddle all the way or most of the way down rapidly will cause Power shifting to activate whether or not the button is pressed on the shifter. If your button isn't depressed and you don't floor it, I suppose that the gas peddle sensor could be stuck or broken.

sounds like it could be a TPS sensor problem or maybe even a crank-pos problem. ought to first check the condition of the ATF fluid though, could just be time for a service. the fluid should be a nice red color, if it's brown or very dark then definatly needs to be flushed. just remember though, that ATF fluid levels are checked with the engine RUNNING... you don't want to check it with engine off because it will show that it's low and you will end up overfilling.

Don't know what it is. Maybe I will take it to someone tomorrow. Just replaced the pcv valve. I figure it has something to do with vacuum or something.

Just had the drive belt replaced a few months ago.

Seems like it is running in a lower gear, can't figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't checked. It wasn't the large AC belt though it was the smaller one below it, the altenator belt. I wasn't driving it when it happened but I am told that the earlier problem and loudness went away. No way for me to check until I get a belt on there.

These belts are less than six months old. About three months ago I got the drive belt replaced.

Looks like I lost some coolant too because the belt wasn't operating the fan so some of the coolant must of boiled off.

Linkage adjustment. Maybe. Seems like I am going higher and higher to get it to shift from second to third. Does it at about 3400 rpm and I can't remember the speed maybe 35 mph.

It looks like the boot next to the transmission is toast. Looks like the linkage adjuster.

I also think there might be a problem in the vacuum hoses or something...just don't know. Automatic transmissions is like alien technology to me.

Edited by armelius1

I did. The only thing I seen that looked problematic was that shift boot next to the auto tranny.

I wished I could read that big manual better. Don't know what they are showing on those graphs.

All I know the engine seems louder and takes longer to shift or just doesn't shift as smooth as it used to. A belt is making a squeeling sound at about 55 or 45 until it shifts into third.