electric fan

MATTY

The fan is a great idea. I got 19 MPG with a truck full of cargo and 3 people crusing at 75 MPH heading on vacation. The only thing that I did other than that is the DIY CAI, flowmaster exhaust, and I had ACETONE in the tank which has only proven about .75 MPG difference.

The truck must have gained 10+ HP, the rule of thumb is if you can feel it, it is over 10. How much HP I actually gained is tough to tell, but you will definately enjoy the truck more with the e-fan!!

Best e-fan site

Edited by 98silverpathy

On my '87, I believe I am seeing 1-2 mpg improvement on long trips. It's hard to put an exact figure on it, but here's the stats on (3) 1000 mile road trips from NoCal to Portland OR and back:

1) June: 17 mpg. Mechanical fan, had A/C running at least 75% of the time and it was hot.

2) October: 21 mpg. Electric fan, but A/C was on for maybe 100 miles.

3) December: 19.5 mpg. Electric fan, NO A/C, stiff head wind for several hundred miles.

Even factoring in the rule of thumb that A/C will cost about 1 mpg, and tossing out another 1 mpg for colder, denser air on trips 2 and 3, I think at least 1 mpg is very realistically attributed to the fan. I am using a fan out of a mid '90's BMW 528 as I had one laying around. It's a 3 speed.

And the engine does pick up revs much quicker without the mechanical fan load. It feels like what a 5 hp increase would. Although it is mostly inertial effects and probably more like a 1 or 2 hp increase, it is a noticeable kick in the peppy pants.

How much did I like it? I purchased 2 taurus fans (the 2 speed version off the 3.8l car) to do the same in my tow van.

'98: Nice job on the install!

Have you taken any measurements, or seen any published figures, on how much current the Taurus fan pulls at low and at high speed?

I am designing my wiring schematic. I am confident standard 30 amp relays will be plenty for low speed, but how about high speed? Did you confirm that article that said 40 amp is enough? Or should I go with doubled up 30 amp?

Edited by mws

Interesting. The fan must pull a lot of CFM if it still cools the engine despite covering only 60% of the radiator. How long have you had it installed, and what's the hottest outside temperature you've driven in since then?

I do have a plate style tranny cooler, and the hottest it got was 98 with nasty humidity for what that is worth!!

I am using double 30 amp relays and that is on the high setting...no melt downs yet....it does kick my headlights when it turns on even on low...but I am working on Vengefuls idea right now....the quest alty that is 125 amps...this should be done this week. I have the alty and took the pulley of after it tested out mint from 2 diff auto places!! I'll keep you guys posted on that one!

edit: I do change the settings from winter numbers to Summer numbers...I had the fan since like July of last year. The adj thermo is direct wired so it does run when the truck is off and I had no problems over the summer starting the truck, but for common sense reasons I bumped the fan thermo up a little since batteries are less apt to charging when they are cold!! I do have a deep cycle DEKA so that may be one reason starting was all good!

Edited by 98silverpathy

Interesting. The fan must pull a lot of CFM if it still cools the engine despite covering only 60% of the radiator. How long have you had it installed, and what's the hottest outside temperature you've driven in since then?

Judging from your sig pic I can see the cause for concern, but there's guys on nissan4wheelers.com in AZ and the fan works well in that environment too.

The Taurus fan has always kept my '87 V6 cool. I recently moved to Florida and it did fine all summer and I have it wired for slow speed. I also did the Quest alt swap before the fan. I couldn't notice any mileage or HP gains, but at least it doesn't sound like a bus when the fan kicks on anymore.

Some folks have swapped in other types of electric fans (I think 88's is from a Quest) so the Taurus isn't the only one you can use. I chose it because of the buzz from the hot rod and off road buggy community about how much air it can move. Be careful, though. It's said to draw a LOT of amps at start up, so be sure to build a system that can handle it. I've got mine wired to some huge relay the guy at the parts store said goes on a tow truck winch.

Edited by jj big shoe

I'm astonished that an e-fan that doesn't cover the radiator can cool the truck in high temperatures at low speeds and high engine loads.

The reason why I'm asking is because I've experimented so far with 2 different electric fans, and I'm still not 100% confident in an e-fan's ability to adequately cool my truck.

The first was a Flex-a-Lite #210 low-profile fan (2500cfm). It left about 20% of the radiator surface unshrouded. On a 4-wheeling trip in the mountains a couple of summers ago, the truck overheated big-time. It was only about 78°F outside, but apparently 5mph in 4LO up a 20-degree slope for 5 minutes required more cooling than the fan could deliver.

So, I last summer, I installed a Flex-a-Lite #295 fan (up to 4600cfm) which covers nearly the entire radiator. However, the engine ran hot a few times (over 230°F) while ascending into the mountains on a 95°F day. Above 4000' altitude, at times it was necessary to keep the pedal nearly mashed, shift into 2nd gear and maintain revs at 5000+ just to drive 50mph as we ascended towards the summit.

Later, I spoke with a rep at Flex-a-Lite regarding this and his response was that the bull-bar and winch installed on my truck created a vacuum in front of the radiator, preventing adequate airflow to the radiator, ergo overheating.

With the engine-driven fan installed, the truck never ran hot, even in 125°F temps with the AC running full-blast. However, above 95°F, the AC usually blew warm at idle. (That's partially why I installed the e-fan.)

Edited by XPLORx4