Pacesetter Headers

Chupacabra

I'm getting Pacesetter headers for my 95 pathfinder soon and was wondering if anyone has these installed with just the black paint no coating? Any heat issues without the ceramic coating? I was thinking of sending them off to have the Jet-Hot 2000 coating put on them but that's an additional $250 any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Chupacabra

They are in transit....I could have got the pacesetters with ceramic coating but didn't do my homework before I purchased soooo now I'm trying to find out if there will be heat issues with the uncoated headers before I get them put on...only want to do this once if you know what I mean.

I am looking at a set of the Thorley Headers and I am just worried about one thing. On their website I was looking at headers for a 1994 Pathfinder, which is mostly the same as the 1995 Pathfinder. It said in the description "No Lift Kit". Is this really true, can they really not be used with a lift kit, or are they just pulling my leg?

There are no "heat-issues" with un-coated headers...especially for lower-performance vehicles like our pathfinders. In higher-power and race applications, there is an advantage to coated headers because they keep the heat down under the hood...

Most of us that get the coated headers do it for the anti-rusting properties....(and OK, I admit it, BLING :X ).

Z

BTW-

There are usually fittament issues with the pace-setter, you might want to make sure that they will fit before you spend $$ getting them ceramic coated.

One other option: Coat them yourself!

I had to customize the headers for my van, so I had Thorley send the headers to me in raw steel. Did the welding I needed to do, and then sandblasted and coated them with Techline's Black Satin shot from a touch up style paint gun. Did it in my front yard, hanging off a tree. Did I mention my neighbor's just LOVE me?

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/

Ordered it through Summit Racing.

Thanks Z Pilot...that was just the answer I was looking for. I'll put the uncoated on for now and Thorleys after they rust out. What are the fitment issues you alluded to? I just want to get rid of this bleepin exhaust leak...I read on another forum that someone had used 2 gaskets per header and used grade 8.8 bolts with two lock washers per bolt instead of nissan studs...Good idea or Bad?

I have the Thorley Ceramic coated headers and a 3inch suspension lift. As far as I know, there is no fitment issue. It is rather close to the trans if I remember correctly.

From what I hear about the ceramic coat is that it will keep the heat in the pipe and keep the velocity of the exhaust up for more power.

I was just concerned that the headers will be very close to the starter and oil relocation tubes once they are installed...don't want to have a melt down or worse a blazing pathy...on the upside I guess burning it to the ground would once and for all solve the manifold leak.

Totally Off-Topic...but I saw your name and thought you were someone I knew...his truck is named the Chupacabra. Small world, eh? -thnkboutit-

OTOH, I have heard some stories about the PS headers not even coming close to fitting. The Thorleys seem to be much better on that. :secret:

My pace setters came painted black wiht no ceramic coating. They are now a dull metal color. No more attractive than the manifolds that came on the car. The only fitment issues I have is with the EGR valve, besides that they work great and for the money it was a solid investment.

ceramic coating on our little gutless pigs? i think not!

i ordered mine from 4x4parts.com, the pacesetter ones without the ceramic coating. mine are now the dull metal color. the shop i had do them only had to fabircate something for the EGR valve like u said. my one question, is it possible to get the oil filter out.????? was looking at mine and im not sure that u can.

Packie, I can get mine out on my '91 with Pacesetters. It's no treat mind you but it can be done and it's just about as messy as the stock manifolds. The universal oil filter reloation kit mod seems to be the thing to do. There are several posts about the filter relocation kit around here with different ideas regarding mounting and plumbing.

BTW I opted for the factory black coating and did the hack rattle can high temp paint thing in cherry red only to see my work go up in smoke when we fired the motor. You would of thought that paint turned my 'finder into a two-stroke motor for about a half an hour. Talk about your headaches. I had the same EGR fittment issue on mine and my pipes are a nice burnt rust, black and white color now outside of the flanges which are still cherry red. pssd

M

Putting her in the shop tomorrow to have the uncoated pace setters installed. Did the filter relocation a couple of days ago with some thermo sleeves around the tubing for good measure. I'm also going to wrap the starter in thermo wrap as soon as I get her back. I got lucky and found a mechanic that worked for Nissan before going out on his own who is going to replace all the studs and install headers for $500. Will post pics etc. as soon as all work is done.

i got my headers installed and all studs replaced including 3 borken ones for 691.51. pretty good price if u ask me. im looking into the oil relocation kit, because its just apain in the ass. ot a couple of question.

1.) is it easy to install.

2.)whered u guys mount yours to.

3.) any heat issues coming of the heaers/manifold on the oil

thats about it

Putting her in the shop tomorrow to have the uncoated pace setters installed. Did the filter relocation a couple of days ago with some thermo sleeves around the tubing for good measure. I'm also going to wrap the starter in thermo wrap as soon as I get her back. I got lucky and found a mechanic that worked for Nissan before going out on his own who is going to replace all the studs and install headers for $500. Will post pics etc. as soon as all work is done.

I like the idea of wrapping the oil line, but I'm not sure thermo wrapping the starter is such a good idea. Starters draw a lot of amps and generate a lot of heat themselves. Normally starters burn out by over cranking causing them to self destruct from their own heat. Wrapping it will prevent some of the heat from escaping, making the situation worse. If there was a way to mount a heat shield between the header and starter, you would be better off doing that. - Just something to consider.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the pics. Mine have been in the box for nearly a year - other projects took priority. :hide:

I got my oil filter relocation kit from AC/4x4parts.com. Simple to install put it in the wheel well pasenger side. As far as wrapping the starter in thermo wrap I wouldn't think its going to be a problem considering the starter only "works" for a couple of seconds each time you use it and not constantly...my main concern was the fact that the headers and the starter are soooo close to each other that I didn't want to cook the starter. It may be overkill or just plain stupid on my part...I'll let you know if my starter pucks on me after I get my ride back.

you can get the pacesetters from 4x4parts.com uncoated for 215 plus i think it was like 30 dollars shipping (thats from florida where the located to washington state the complete opposite side of the country) so i didnt think shipping was to bad.

I am in Canada, so costs add up VERY quickly when ordering parts from the states. I can get them for about $345CDN taxes in (15% tax) locally which is about $275 USD. Now that means I don't have to pay any shipping, duty and brokerage fees which can make life a headache.