Going for Solid axle swap

MiSh

Ok without going into it the best option for fixxing my 91 pathy is a SAS. I did try and do a search on here but couldnt find much i wanted.

I have no knowledge so i will be paying for someone to do it all. So what i mainly want to know is what would be the best axle to swap it with??

Patrols!!!!!

patrol axles have the drop on the wrong size.

as far as sas... Waggy would be the cheapest and easiest. go leaf springs

ford bronco.. the HP on the bronco is very close to center and you might have problems with the oil pan.

also in order to get disk brakes on your pathy with a ford conversion you would have to use full width. then you have to change the rear end too. ford didn't put disk brakes on them till 76 i believe.

the full width axles won't cause oil pan problems cause the diff is a little bit more on the drivers side.. just like an inch or so

patrol axles have the drop on the wrong size.

as far as sas... Waggy would be the cheapest and easiest. go leaf springs

ford bronco.. the HP on the bronco is very close to center and you might have problems with the oil pan.

also in order to get disk brakes on your pathy with a ford conversion you would have to use full width. then you have to change the rear end too. ford didn't put disk brakes on them till 76 i believe.

the full width axles won't cause oil pan problems cause the diff is a little bit more on the drivers side.. just like an inch or so

A Patrol live axle like mine would more than likely be the most cost effective. Coils too, not leaf springs.

Those other makes you guys talk about are rarely found here as mish has already said.

How much do you reckon idd be looking at to do something like yours V6??

And thats considering i wont be doing any of the work myself.

And mine has the same ratio as yours.

HG46

Edited by MiSh

How much do you reckon idd be looking at to do something like yours V6??

And thats considering i wont be doing any of the work myself.

And mine has the same ratio as yours.

HG46

Firstly, find yourself a guy that can do the job and have it engineered.

4.625:1 ratio means you can do a Patrol live axle. You will have to sourse one in good nick for an MQ or MK patrol. Get one complete disc to disc and the calipers should be thrown in along with the panhard rod. You will be looking at $300 absolute max but more like $175~$200, depending where you are I suppose. You will also have to sourse GQ Patrol radius arms, shock and spring towers and bases if you want to do it the way mine is. I was thinking hoops and coil overs for my next front end project so you might want to skip the crap and do that straight away. I will be very jealous though.

The pumkin (diff) is on the wrong side with 'all' Patrol live axles. I had mine rotated but when I look at it, I think it can be left on the right hand side and the front drive shaft can cross over to it. Run that idea past whoever is going to do the work. You will most likely be looking at 2.5 to 3.5 k to have the work done. That price should include the engineers report, long travel shocks (OME are very good) and a steering dampner etc.

Once you do the work you will not have to worry about the piss poor Pathfinder front end ever again. That alone is worth big $$$$. It is money well spent if you like to do 'real' 4wding.

Vsicks,

Just currious, I didn't know the patrols had driver side drop. What year did they have the drivers side drop?

maybe if i read the entire thread i'd have noticed whay you said... oops :bow:

Edited by 87pathy

Ya down your way.

Question about the patrol axles.

i was looking at one that was lifted with about 35s on in, LPG conversion when i was working in new Castle. the front axle is Knecked down right before the C going to the outer knuckles. Is this on all patrols and if so, is it a problem?

-study-

Ya down your way.

Question about the patrol axles.

i was looking at one that was lifted with about 35s on in, LPG conversion when i was working in new Castle. the front axle is Knecked down right before the C going to the outer knuckles. Is this on all patrols and if so, is it a problem?

-study-

Yes and no.

They are infact prefered and used by most hardcore 4wders because they are so strong.

You would break 10 jeep axles before the Nissan one would let go.

Mish how are you getting on with your research into your SAS?

As far as I am aware you cannot do a coil SAS in Western Australia, leaf springs are the only option. This was the major reason that put me off.

Speak to that guy on perth4x4 who has done and SAS on his surf. He went thru Opposite Lock in Balcatta which would have to be one of your first stops for this project.

Hope it all goes well.

Justin