Murphy saves my ass

sarguy

So someone was looking out for me. I get a blow out, which prompts me to replace my tires... kind of sucks because I really wanted to do new wheels and tires but thats besides the point. I did a little shopping around and ended up putting 31X10.5R15 Firestone Destination MT's. They take off my wheels at the tire shop and 3 of the bolts that attach the rotors to the hubs fall right off. The tire shop tells me that this was probably caused by over-tightening the bolts when I had the brakes done a few months back. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Yep, it can happen. Overtightening the bolts can cause them to "stretch". You might have to monitor those bolts for the next little while and if they keep loosening, get the shop that did your brakes to replace them. It's the only way to fix a stretched bolt.

Edited by deej

Why shops still, or ever did, use air tools to put lug nuts on... I will never understand.

Les Schwab tires had to replace a stud on my Pathy some time ago because the idiot used an impact wrench to start (and finish) the nut... he crossthreaded the damned thing. Took everything I had to loosen the stupid thing! :furious: