tranny screwed

nissandoms47

A couple of days ago i was backing out of my garage and the reverse gear would work after a couple of minutes fiddling with the gear shifter it worked. today it wouldnt reverse at all ihad to push it out. i thought it was the tranny fluid so i changed that and now it still doesnt work. my brother thought that it might be the reverse clutch disc. i came to this conclusion too because if it was a gear you would hear it grind right? well anyway its a daily driver and i need it fixed. so what do you guys think i should do? how much would something like that cost? or can i go to my local junk yard and a newer tranny and just swap it out? thanks for the help.

-Alex

its an automatic

could need adjustment on the selector.. or it's kaput... the cost is pretty high to rebuild these things but it rainges tremendously so who knows (1k->3.5k)

if you can just go to your local junk yard and yank a pathy tranny, let us know where you live because most likely you have found the golden pot..

there are some out there though semi expensive but prob under 1k for the tranny... there are also japanese used parts importers but i just don't know if i'd trust a tranny from tokyo traffic.

alright ill make some phone calls tomorrow and see what i come up with. i was at a junk yard not too long ago and found a pathy le out there but i didnt check to see if it still had the tranny up in so ill have to see. but i live in central utah and so far i havent met anyone on here from utah but ill let you guys know what i find out.

-Alex

oh ya and would later model pathy trannys work? like a 99.5 and up?

Edited by nissandoms47

I'm sorry, but I'm assuming it's an automatic?

I don't know what is compatible with what, but I would assume it would be a little more complicated to swap in a 2001+ automatic due to the change in motor.

Yeah, rebuilds can be costly, if that R50 still has an auto tranny

1) See how much the yard wants for it

2) How many miles does it have on it? Would it be more expensive to have it fail 30k miles later than to have rebuilt yours in the first place?

3) Any maintenance records on the junkyard tranny? That would be pretty cool.

Good luck, and I would go with a quality rebuilt tranny. Quality being the main word here.

well i found an auto tranny out of a 96 pathfinder LE without the transfer case. its 850 with low miles. is this a good deal. it does not come with a tranfer case. but can i just take mine off and bolt it onto this other one? any details that i should know?

thanks

-Alex

could need adjustment on the selector.. or it's kaput... the cost is pretty high to rebuild these things but it rainges tremendously so who knows (1k->3.5k)

if you can just go to your local junk yard and yank a pathy tranny, let us know where you live because most likely you have found the golden pot..

there are some out there though semi expensive but prob under 1k for the tranny... there are also japanese used parts importers but i just don't know if i'd trust a tranny from tokyo traffic.

you can get a VG33 tranny for $800 here in San Diego (mexican junkyards)

guaranteed to run

well i found an auto tranny out of a 96 pathfinder LE without the transfer case. its 850 with low miles. is this a good deal. it does not come with a tranfer case. but can i just take mine off and bolt it onto this other one? any details that i should know?

thanks

-Alex

I'd just do that junkyard tranny. No clue if the price is on par, but it doesn't sound unresonable. While I could give you no definitive answer, there is no reason why your transfer case should not bolt up to the new tranny.

Once you get the tranny on be sure to install a tranny cooler.

could a reason for my reverse gear not working be the transmission control unit? perhaps? please give me some answers!

if i just get a whole new used? trannsmisson will that most likely solve my problem. i found one out there from a 99 pathfinder Le with like 80 k miles. should i get this? its 450 with out the transfer case. but i still have that working so it should bolt right up.

Edited by nissandoms47

• 5 years later...