Moving in neutral; Say what?!

vidro

It has been a few weeks since the pathy has acted up, so I figured what ever was possessing it got pissed off at my stupidity and left or it went into hibernation till warmer weather, I thought wrong.

Figure this one out;

It only happens when temperature are below freezing.

On the manual transmission pathies you have to push in the clutch to start the vehicle. After starting the vehicle I put it in neutral and let off the clutch till she warms up.

In cold weather when I do this the vehicle starts to move this is while it is in neutral, plus the RPM on the engine drop about 500.

I'll explain it again so I make sure I'm saying it right.

Cold weather... with clutch out all is ok. Vehicle in neutral, clutched released, vehicle starts to move and engine goes under load

That's cuz your fluid is like mud. Mine does it slightly too, although, not hard enough to actually pull the vehicle forward. I can feel it lurch slightly forward in neutral. In my old tranny, when I ran synthetic fluid (haven't changed it yet in this one) the problem didn't occur, and the pedal action was light, and the shifter moved alot more freely.

I believe Simon is correct. Didn't you put in 80w-90 or 85w-90 ? 75w-90 is whats called for... B)

B

Even the correct weight oil will do it, if it's dino oil. Dunno why....... :shrug:

Okay......make me look like an idiot......what I meant to say was..........

Any REPLACEMENT, correct weight, dino oil, causes it to feel like mud, yet, the original fluid put in by NIssan (which, I assume was dino) does not. I don't understand that.

*snicker*

Ok, fair enough, I did not know that. Never had a new pathfinder or lived on the tundra... The only thing I can think of is that the original oil must have a greater multi weight range/less viscus rating. I am suprised that Nissan only suggests 1 oil for all temperature ranges... I'm running 85w90 with some Lucas oil stabilizer which is nice in the summer, but as soon as the temp gets below 50 or so, the tranny is stiff to shift for the first mile or two. :shrug:

B

I'm using 75-90 GL4 this does explain why my right forearm has increased in mass by 1/2 inch in diameter.

Richard Simmons aint got nothing on that kind of workout, Shifting a manual tranny in below freezing temperature

You're right, sounds like synthetic would fix this situation.

I will have to ask Santa for this though otherwise @ $20.00 a Qrt my financial manger will KICK MY A@* And believe me it only takes once with her and her iron skillet to no she mangers our (her) money well.

I'm using 75-90 GL4 this does explain why my right forearm has increased in mass by 1/2 inch in diameter.

Richard Simmons aint got nothing on that kind of workout, Shifting a manual tranny in below freezing temperature

it's been below freezing for three weeks here (in single dig. half the time) and my truck shifts just like it does in the summer... :unsure: (unheated garage queen :) )

? lol.. i dunno, that's the only fluid i never changed on the truck because i couldn't find gl4 anywhere around here.. it did look ok though (about a year ago.) i'll have to look for the PO's paperwork.. i think it was done at a lube place or maybe a dealer.. i can't remember and i have no clue what i did with all the papers..

the weard thing is that the dealer told me that it's ok to use any old gl oil... theirs is gl5.. i am pretty sure... but it is Nissan so it may have a little different formulation but at $7+/bottle i decided to keep looking and researching..

Not to hijack this thread, but does it hurt the tranny or anything during this first mile? I don't remember what weight the shop put in it, but it was a summer weight in southern Georgia, so now I feel like I'm gonna snap the shifter in half!

I can't answer that.

I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this but there's really not much of choice. I'm not sure how long it would take to warm up before the tranny fluid would thin down. There is the heater under the vehicle at nights option , they do this with diesels.

With my luck if I put a heater under the vehicle at night, the next morning I would probably just find four melted tires and a perfectly good heater burned out.

I know first and second gear are real bad and most likely this is due to the lower RPMS and that they are the first 2 gears of the morning after a cold night.

I was talking to guy at work who's son and him just finish restoring a Toyota 4x4 with manual tranny. The first day in the 32 degree range his boy made a comment about having to use two hands to shift the beast.

Synthetic is probably the answer to ease this issue and as you have read and/or will read stick with GL4. If you can find synthetic GL4 expect to pay a premium but in the long run it is most likely worth the investment.

I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this but there's really not much of choice. I'm not sure how long it would take to warm up before the tranny fluid would thin down. That or put a heater under the vehicle at nights, I know they do that with diesels.

With my luck if I put a heater under the vehicle at night, the next morning I would probably just find four melted tires and a perfectly good heater burned out.

Get an engine block heater for your winters. The Pathy will start easier, warm up faster, and the resultant heat transference to your tranny housing (hence, it's fluid) will make your first mile or two shifting almost as easy as it is in the summer. If that doesn't do it, you can buy a magnetic type (or glue-able) that will attach to the bottom of your tranny & plugs into any 110v power source...

Hmmm.... my clutch doesn't need to be engaged to start up....

Sounds like your neutral safety switch has been disconnected, by-passed, or your interlock switch is constantly on... -thnkboutit-