First Time Driving In SNOW!

OR99.5Speed

not IMO.. ive found its better to just keep it in gear going down a hill so you dont get goin to fast! put it in 2nd or 3rd gear(depending on how comfortable you are) and keep your foot off the gas the engine will keep you at a steady 30-35... i drive up and down the mountains atleast a couple times a week so i like to think i know how to drive in the snow

i agree, you want traction and power on those.. helps not to have to press the brake pedal.

I'm a use neutral and the brakes kind of person rather than use engine compression kind of person.

I find it easier to modulate the brakes right at the point of lock up than to try to modulate the throttle.

If you start sliding while on the brakes, ease up a bit.

If you start sliding while using engine braking, you have to apply a bit of throttle. Which proved to be harder for me to do really precisely.

And if you have ABS, it really ought to be a no brainer. ABS can't adjust for excess engine braking...

I can't really comment on whether the engine brake method or the hydros is the better choice, I drive way too many different types of vehicles. I can tell you that running the jake brake on the big truck while its snowing is pretty much going to lock up the drive tires and then I have a 134,000+ lb bob-sled with a stalled engine...yuck!

In my pathy I tend to be of the tail out with rooster tails sort and more than likely in 2wd. In the FWD turbo dub I'm paranoid, that car will kill you in the rain if you don't respect it fully. I think it really depends on what you're driving and your comfort/confidence level. Time in has alot to do with it too, as a Pro driver from Canada for the last 9 years most of them long haul I've spent more time driving in crap weather than most people have in good, it always amazes me to see all the 4wd vehicles upside down off the road for the first few snows, not to say I haven't had my offs too, these things happen if you want to play and I doubt that I'm the only person on this forum thats dumped their wagon on its lid.

Take it slow and have fun.

I LOVE THE ICE AND SNOW!!! OMG SO SO SO FUN!

I hope it starts here again. Last year we had so much ice that there were barley anyone in the streets so I had plenty of room to learn about driving in the ice. I even helped people that were stuck.

I have an auto but I still kinda down shift/brake. It works way better for me than just brakeing.

Rami

Living In Manitoba where its snow almost 7 months of the year you learn early how to drive safely in the snow and ice, and although I'm 100% in favor of driving safely on a regular basis, and I agree with all you guys on your tips and pointers, sometimes its just more fun to cut loose and do your own thing. B) I say if you’re going slow enough anyway and there is no1 coming at you, go ahead and over steer and hit the gas a bit and get her sideways. My front street goes both downhill and uphill before I hit Main and I can drive the whole street completely ass sideways. When first snow fall came, HOOYEEEAH! You know I was out there rippin up the streets at night. Funny story, I went out that night with a bunch of my buddies, half of us in the truck, and the other half in a friend’s old corolla beater. We started off just messin around on his front street fishing out, doing 360's, drifting corners, then we decided we needed more room to play so we headed down to the mall parking lot only to find a mustang, a trueno, and some pontiac sh!ter had already beaten us to the punch and had one of the guys in their group standing outside recording their session. Needless to say we couldn’t let them have all the fun, so when it was clear I drifted right in and started doing 360's in front of them, followed by my buddy in the corolla doing some backup 360's. I then proceeded to use the lamp posts as pylons making a drift course in my mind drifting around sets of lamp posts, then doing perfect figure eights around 2, and then finally some perfectly controlled 360's around the lamp post closest to their camera man, all the while my corolla buddy doing his own thing and making his own drift courses. Only one and a half - 2 minutes into our sesh, they had already given up trying to compete and just parked in a row to watch us own the parking lot. After our grand finally in front of their camera man we parked next to them cranked the volume and blasted them with #1 Stunna and they drove off slowly out of the lot in shame it was the funniest thing I'd seen that week. Anyway, I just thought you all might enjoy reading that lil story, and hopefully you all have some fun stories of your own to retell.:gossip: What’s even funnier though is that was only a PART of that night. :lol: Hahahahahahaha!!!! :X :aok:

yea i wouldn't recommend using neutral either...just ease off of the gas...brake lightly. If you have a manual, use lower gears as you can just ease off of the gas and use the engine as a brake...be good with the clutch though, you don't want those jerky slow-downs from higher speeds...keep all changes in speed and turning radii GRADUAL and SLOW...if you do so, you should be ok =)

I try and stay off the brakes as much as possible myself. All my 4wd's have been auto's so I just drop them into 4hi and D (or 2 on our trucks). Go slow and they handle just fine. Helps to have some weight over the rear axle too. Not sure how much is required in a SUV but in my GMC I'd place about 350lbs worth of sandbags in the bed.

I haven't had to drive in the snow/ice much with my 5speed FWD VW. But using engine braking and going slow it seemed to handle ok. However You can rest assured I'll be taking the pathy into inclement weather if given the choice.

:clap: see! You went from freaked out about driving in snow to almost pro status! now! don't get cocky about it.... lol....

like everything above.. take it slow.. keep your distance.... and increase your insurance! :aok:

:clap: see! You went from freaked out about driving in snow to almost pro status! now! don't get cocky about it.... lol....

like everything above.. take it slow.. keep your distance.... and increase your insurance! :aok:

Haha, Slick, I think I am getting a little cocky about it. lol. I'm a performance-type driver, taking the MKIV GTI out to Road Atlanta and running around in the old E30 on the Montana roads. This "snow" now has turned into rain! We had fresh powder on the ground this morning but the salt truck came and spoiled the fun! I can't believe I'm saying that too!

Funny thing is, I was having trouble walking in the slush this morning on the way to class; all of the Yankees were flying by my cautious amble! Oh well...

And since my ex-GF totalled my 1998 4Runner, I only can have liability on the Pathy...it makes me a better driver anyways.

lol, you guys are funny... i live in northern ontario, we already have 4 feet of snow, snow is the greatest thing to drive in, i'm takin my truck out on the lake this weekend....

701044_95_full.jpg

oh man if i had snow like that here i'd be boarding in my backyard or down the street ahahahaha (i live on a steep hill)

Who needs a hill to go snowboarding? Hahaha not me! :P You guys heard of "snowskates" or "snowdecks" yet? A snowdeck is like a skateboard, only it has a mini snowboard on the trucks instead of wheels, and a snowskate is pretty much a skateboard sized snowboard only without the bindings. Anyway I think their great because their only a fraction the cost of a snowboard never mind the cost of bindings and everything else you need, and you don’t need a big hill or anything, anyplace will do. Anyway a buddy and I each picked up a snowskate and a 25' dog leash (the metal wired kind you use to chain your dog in your yard) and we just keep that in the back of the truck now any time powder hits or theirs enough hard pack we hit up the park, or parking lot, chain up to the truck and off we go. Wicked fun! :aok:

hehe.. i surfed off the abck of a 4 runner while tied to a discus thingie that you go down hills with.. lots of fun.... until i wiped out...........into a pole :blink: concussion #3 sssh

BTW OR99.5.... i used to rally in england.. so i know about getting cocky.. there is a time, place, and vehicle for that ;):aok::beer:

One more note-

Four wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop. And that is how most SUVs in snowy ditches got there.

Before you get tooooo cocky in the snow, read about me being cocky in the snow in this post from last spring.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...t=0entry33366

Ha!