exhaust and emissions

87pathy

Ok, well some of you might know i'm almost done with a 2.5 year build. I have come to a predicament. Becasue of my height, and custom rear suspension, i am having a hard time getting my Cat and my muffler to fit in the aloted space. If i could do away with the mufler all togeter, this would solve my problems. BUT, i live in washington where i must have emisions done to get it registered. Anybody know what minimums i could get buy with and still pass emisions here in the evergreen state? I'm running a straight pipe at the moment and love the throttle responce but that is not going to get me registered.

ideas?

I'm guessing it's an 87... :blink:

Well, you'll have to put a cat in no matter what, I'm not sure what kind of muffler though. Can you cross from one side to the other for more room ? I know thats not desirable, but...

What motor are you running ?

B

You in King or Pierce counties?

I do remember something about certain aged auto's not being required for testing in WA... 8 years ago my 88 did not pass here in Spokane County and I just licensed it to the in-laws in Stevens County

Contact the local DMV and see what they say....

Ok, well my first is a laugh. my name is 87pathy and my avatar is a 2 door... so i certainly hope i'm driving a 87 2 door... :P

i thougt about going to an H pipe as noted by l&p performance in there SCV G30I.

The mounting problems are such.... when i get back past the CAT, my upper control arm links are at the top of the frame and even with the body lift, i just don't have space for the muffler. I would crush it with any articulation. so i have that problem on either side of the vehicle.

Washington, pierce county 25 years on emisions....suck ass.

does anybody here think i could pass emisions with no muffler or using a cherry bomb or class pack.. only saying this cause they are much smaller than the stock pathy muffler wich is.. too big..

Idea number 1..... jerry rig total exaust to pass emisions then take it home and put in straight pipes. (have to do this on a yearly basis)

idea number 2..... pay someboy out the ass to write it off and don't have to pay emisions, just the robber who is doing the paper work...

idea number 3.. paysomebody out the ass to do a custom exahust job..

what do you guys think?

oh ya, its a BONE STOCK NISSAN VG30. wouldn't have it any other way...

BTW.. i changed the plugs for the first time in 11 years last weekend. Got rid of all the old gas, put new gas in the tank....new battery....crrrraaaaank,,,, craaaannk.. started in less than 5 seconds.. after sitting unstarted for 2.5 years.

NOW THATS A NISSAN!

Gotta love 'em!

I've gotten pretty good at innovative solutions to tough problems... do you have any other pictures I could look at to see what space you do have?

Off the top of my head:

With a stock VG30, you don't need more than a single 2.25" pipe after the cat - unless you run her over 5K rpm on a regular basis, in which case a single 2.5" is in order.

With as much lift as you have, couldn't you squeeze something up above the pumpkin? Mounted transverse?

Or maybe right behind it, right under the tank? Again, running crosswise with it exiting in the back right corner.

A single glass pack would probably raise "excessive noise" flags

But you might be able to get away with packs if you split into dual 2" pipes after the cat and snake them over the axle to dual 2" core glass packs, one on either side of the fuel tank with outlets pointing to either side. 2" core packs are MUCH quieter than a 2.25" or larger core, and having duals will give you the flow you need. And by having 2 outlets pointing in 2 different directions, the perceived noise is cut in half. So that setup would be perceived to be about 1/4 as loud as a single big boy.

And 2" pipe is inexpensive and pretty easy to bend. You can even bend your own with one of the cheapo hydraulic benders at Harbor Freight...

I hate to suggest this but...

Check the emmision requirements in the surrounding counties...

Whats left of the original X system, can you piece it together with a smaller muffler?

Maybe run the muffler at 45' after the cat across, and the pipe out the side infront of the rear wheel??

Whats the cost on a custom job?

I think option #1 from after the cat would be your best bet... Just have them weld in a flange so it's just a bolt in and hang set up. 1 hour per year max to deal with... ;)

its a BONE STOCK NISSAN VG30. wouldn't have it any other way...

Good man, thats 1/2 the reason I bought a Pathy !! :beer:

B

I think option #1 from after the cat would be your best bet... Just have them weld in a flange so it's just a bolt in and hang set up. 1 hour per year max to deal with... ;)

Good man, thats 1/2 the reason I bought a Pathy !! :beer:

B

Ya, i think thats the way i'm pointed.

I only have 3" between my upper links and the body,so i can't get a muffler in there, and yes it gets better as it goes back but then the springs are in the way.

putting a muffler under the gas tank is out of the question. I want all the space i can get. If you guys didn't know, i am building this for EXTREME off road. to take to places like Moab, Tellico.. and litterally beat the @!*% out of it.

How about running back after the cat, and then making a u-bend in front of the diff to the passenger side and run through a muffler going forward and then another 135 degree bend to the right and back and on the right side a la NASCRAP?

So the muffler ends up under the passenger seat - on the opposite side but alongside the cat.

Or even better, use a muffler that has the entry and exit on the same end - I think they were used on some GM F-Bodies for a while? So the pipe makes the U-bend, goes forward into muffler on right side, and then back and out the side.

Edited by mws

dont have any experience with washington... but where im from in ak, you can LEGALLY come strait outa the cat with a 90 and dump it behind the drivers door... it just cant be 'unsafe' aka... sicking outt 3 feet, and must be reasonably secured... but the cat must be in sttock location...

hope this helps

- geeky907

I AM in WA, and just up the road and with experience in Pierce & King Co. emmisions testing. My experience is that you only have to run an emissions check every other year, so that might help there as far as how often you have to run this smoke and mirrors approach. As for where to run the exhaust, I guess its time to get creative with the welder or have a friendly exhaust shop. I've heard rumor of some new slim Flowmasters that may solve random clearance issues. A straight pipe or glasspack may get you by until then, but my understanding is that if you fail an emissions test, then you have to provide reciepts for authorized emissions work- READ- not do it yourself. As in, if you can get if fixed, you're good; but if you have to take the waiver, it has to be based on "professional" work. So whatever path you choose, I'd look further into that and into the rules in general, just in case. Good luck!

Mr. pickles, Your right about the every other year thing. I recently went through a recheck with my Expedition when it wouldnt pass emisions. They will recheck for free 1 time then it costs money again. i wonder if i should just put it together as i think it might pass, then if it doesn't go the long way, it wouldn't cost me but another 15 bucks for each check after the first free be. My pathy does not burn oil, and runs excelent for the milage it has.

The last time i had it checked, i was WELL below the legal limit.