No Start on Cold Days?

CDN_Pathy

Well here is the situation. When ever it gets real cold out, below freezing. My 94 Pathy will not start, atleast not right away. The truck will usually start after a few taps to the starter and then is good for the rest of the day. The battery seems okay, even when being boosted by another car will not start with out tapping on the starter. The weird thing is that it only does this when it is cold out and the truck has sat overnight, otherwise it works perfect. Any suggestions?

When ever it gets real cold out, below freezing.

You must live on the West Coast! Even here in the southern interior of BC we have been having temps in the -15 range. Yesterday, it was -8 in the enclosed garage. :o (Of course, this assumes that CDN_Pathy means you live in Canada :shrug: Not sure as your profile does not say were you are from )

Make sure all your connections are good. The cold will result in slight shrinkage of everything, so one loose connection, even slightly, will result in a no start.

I would tighten all the connections to/from the starter and make sure the grounds are all clean.

Then look at the starter if the above does not work. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Edited by Trainman

Check the connections for oil and corrosion, not to mention how crapped up and full of oil is it ? I pulled my starter last year when I changed the clutch, and it looked like a sump pump from a refinery !! It took 2 cans of brake/contact cleaner to get it clean. You may want to try that before buying a new one...

B

You need a new starter. I had a 1996 Jeep ZJ that did this at 125k miles. It started in the winter, as the battery had less charge so the starter has to work harder. Eventually it would not start, so we tapped the starter with crowbar and it worked. It started like this for two weeks until it finally crapped out. I bought a remanufactured one at O'Reillys for like $60 or something like that. Get a new starter pronto or you will need a tow.

As mentioned before, check the obvious like white corrosion at the battery terminals and loose connections at the terminals. Thats about it, but I'm 99% sure it's the starter.

Edited by OR99.5Speed

Make sure all your connections are good. The cold will result in slight shrinkage of everything, so one loose connection, even slightly, will result in a no start.

I would tighten all the connections to/from the starter and make sure the grounds are all clean

After you have done this and all is ok, still get the battery tested.

Then Dive in for a Starter P...

Be sure to check the starter solenoid prior to replacing the whole starter - turns a $200+ job into a $20 job if just the solenoid needs replacing. Cold weather can turn marginal solenoids into non-starters. Best way to check for power to the solenoid is a voltmeter between the starter contact and ground. Bench testing of the starter may not reveal solenoid trouble, but should definitely show starter motor defects. If it checks ok, then replace the solenoid as a matter of course.

• 2 weeks later...