4WD questions....

Nay-Sayer

I've got a 93 Pathy. When I engage 4WD - high, as long as I'm going in a straight line, everything seems ok. However, when I turn the wheel sharply it feels like I'm going up hill. Is there something wrong with my 4WD? Thanks...

No, this is completely normal. It does this because the wheels are trying to spin at the same speed but the inside tires will spin a bit slower than the outside ones. It's not adviseable to do this when the car is on dry pavement as it causes unessecarry wear and tear on the gears. I'm sure somebody else here can give you a deeper explanation, but i've always been told to try to avoid sharp turns (fully locked steering wheel) when in 4wd. It's even worse when you're in 4w lo (which should only be used on slippery surfaces, steep inclines and maximum traction for pulling out jeeps/dodge dakotas from the muck).

You are using 4WD on a hard traction surface. Your car is "binding". Keep doing it and in no time at all you will distroy your diff, cv's, transfer case or gear box. I am supprised it hasn't gone bang yet. Just as well Nissan over engineered their drive components isn't it? You will have shortend the life of your car now anyway.

4WD is only ever to be used when traction is a problem.

It'll be fine. If I can beat the drivetrain on rocks with a locker and manual hubs in 4LO, I doubt a few instances of use in 4HI on a road surface would do much of anything at all. Just try not to do it any more than you have to, you never know when something may up and take a crap on you. Heh.

Not sure i agree with this....

Yes, Definately, running 4wd in the summer on dry pavement is just asking to wear out very expensive parts... however, do you honestly think ANY automaker would design a 4x4 system on a "soccer mom's" SUV in such a way that accidently throwing it into 4wd and turning a corner on dry pavement would do any kind of marked-wear on the driveline???

do you honestly beleve, an auto-maker would be as highly regarded as nissan if they built a system that unforgiving.... yes absoloutely, if you have welded front and rear diff's yeah, no doubt you ARE GOING TO break something... however if you're completely open up-front, there is absoloutely no reason the front dif shouldnt be able to "differential" going around a corner... HELLO MCFLY.. that's what they're designed to do...

seriously, the binding you likely felt was because of the 4wd trying to pull also... probably not a BAD feeling but different then what youre used to.....

now, take it from someone with MANY years of experience with many brands of 4wd .... your stock pathfinder will NOT be hurt by running in 4x4 ... even if you accidently have it activated on dry roads....

Example...

94 nissan pathfinder v6 auto...

my wife's truck...

every summer we make a point of taking it out into a dirt lot a couple times a summer, pull the 4wd in and play in the dirt.... no NEED for the 4wd... but it rotates the CV's and the front driveline make sure to keep things limber.. (un-nessicary in reality, however it makes mama think she's doin maint to her truck and havin fun doin it) ....

fall... i make sure to go thru and lube the chassis and check the diff-juice... (along with the t-case, trans, engine etc etc....)

first snow fall... even if it's 1/4 inch.... the 4wd lever gets pulled in and it gets left there all winter.... PERIOD!... NO QUESTIONS... EVER... ... everything between -40degree temps and polished black-ice to 38degrees (like today) and rain-covered street's with ice-patches that can (and did yesterday) send 18-wheeler's off into the ditch.... ... that may meen the highways are bone-summer-dry... and the side streets are ice-rinks... ... wet,dry,cold,hot... the pathy stays in 4x4... have i EVER had any drive-line problems on that truck... NO!... is running 4x4 causing excess wear-and-tear on my driveline.... not likely.... and i'd love somebody to PROVE to me on HER TRUCK that it is....

anyways.... sorry guys.... new guy shouldnt be ranting...... but whatever :)

- Geeky907

Around here we just had an ice storm over Thanksgiving and the streets are still covered in snow and ice. In this type of climate I somewhat agree with Geeky...but I still don't run in 4wd unless I need to (worse mileage, I don't like that feeling and sound when turning the corners) and the '92 I'm driving I bought for $1000 because some guy's wife (probably a soccer mom) drove the car in 4wd from November-April and it ruined EVERYTHING in the 4WD. I just spent $800 (which isn't bad considering the original price of the car) to have a whole new (used) 4WD put in. So, Geeky, I'd count yourself lucky and don't totally disagree with you. BUT, I like to live on the side of safety and don't like spending money. In my opinion I wouldn't use 4WD more than necessary.

When my pathfinder was new we drove out of a 17" snow and I pulled out of 4H as I'd read the visor about driving on hard pavement. Black ice and crosswind sent us into ditch full of snow and couldn't grab 4H before we were stuck. Never again, if there's a chance of a slick spot it's in 4 wheel drive. Four days straight after the recent 8" snow.

Another no-no is using 4 wheel drive when you have the smaller spare on a wheel. Plays hell with gear ratios.

Not sure i agree with this....

Yes, Definately, running 4wd in the summer on dry pavement is just asking to wear out very expensive parts... however, do you honestly think ANY automaker would design a 4x4 system on a "soccer mom's" SUV in such a way that accidently throwing it into 4wd and turning a corner on dry pavement would do any kind of marked-wear on the driveline???

do you honestly beleve, an auto-maker would be as highly regarded as nissan if they built a system that unforgiving.... yes absoloutely, if you have welded front and rear diff's yeah, no doubt you ARE GOING TO break something... however if you're completely open up-front, there is absoloutely no reason the front dif shouldnt be able to "differential" going around a corner... HELLO MCFLY.. that's what they're designed to do...

seriously, the binding you likely felt was because of the 4wd trying to pull also... probably not a BAD feeling but different then what youre used to.....

now, take it from someone with MANY years of experience with many brands of 4wd .... your stock pathfinder will NOT be hurt by running in 4x4 ... even if you accidently have it activated on dry roads....

Example...

94 nissan pathfinder v6 auto...

my wife's truck...

every summer we make a point of taking it out into a dirt lot a couple times a summer, pull the 4wd in and play in the dirt.... no NEED for the 4wd... but it rotates the CV's and the front driveline make sure to keep things limber.. (un-nessicary in reality, however it makes mama think she's doin maint to her truck and havin fun doin it) ....

fall... i make sure to go thru and lube the chassis and check the diff-juice... (along with the t-case, trans, engine etc etc....)

first snow fall... even if it's 1/4 inch.... the 4wd lever gets pulled in and it gets left there all winter.... PERIOD!... NO QUESTIONS... EVER... ... everything between -40degree temps and polished black-ice to 38degrees (like today) and rain-covered street's with ice-patches that can (and did yesterday) send 18-wheeler's off into the ditch.... ... that may meen the highways are bone-summer-dry... and the side streets are ice-rinks... ... wet,dry,cold,hot... the pathy stays in 4x4... have i EVER had any drive-line problems on that truck... NO!... is running 4x4 causing excess wear-and-tear on my driveline.... not likely.... and i'd love somebody to PROVE to me on HER TRUCK that it is....

anyways.... sorry guys.... new guy shouldnt be ranting...... but whatever :)

- Geeky907

Knock knock buddy. Do you honestly believe that Nissan and every other car maker advises strongly against driving part time 4wds in 4wd on hard surfaces just for something to do?

How about you drive yourself around town in your 4wd for the day and see how many hours, if that you last. Report back to us how much it cost you to fix it.

Binding..

probably not a BAD feeling but different then what youre used to....."
If you think that binding and axle wind up will not damage and break things then the whole world is wrong.

Take it from you?

Many years experience??

How on Earth do you think someone could engage 4wd without knowing it?

Take it from me. Do not listen to his advice. It is very poor advice to say the least. If you doubt what I and others have said, contact your Nissan dealer for advice. Then post it up for everyone to see.

Geeky? Hmmm.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Vsick... I never "Tire" :X :oops: of your style. Up front in your face is just the way I like to read it... Have to say, I'm likely going to stick with Nissan's recommendation to not use 4wd in non 4wd Scenarios. The factory stock components for these vehicles are sh!t at best and I have no faith in them what so ever. Now if "I" were to be the Manufacturer of Nissan Gears and Drive Shafts, you could do just about anything you'd want to them cause they would be Illegal M-80 explosives proof, 5th Storey Window Drop Tested, Smashed with a Big F@wking Hammer (for no less then 15 minutes), and Could Obliterate a Fully Functional Rail Road Tie. :aok: All that without so much as leaving a scratch or chipping a tooth. But hey, thats just me though. :shrug:

Dowser

Anything but dry pavement, that's where 4H will not be a problem.

4WD needs "give" or "slippage" between the front and back wheels, where your t-case will take all the damage. The front is not locked unless you put one there, therefore it's a differential action that will take care of your front tires. Your back may or may not have Limited Slip which means at times there will be no differential action.

The "uphill" feeling he or she was experiencing is the front and back "talking" to each other.

Isn't there a max speed suggested for 4Hi ? 45 mph or something ? I'll have to check the owners manual later...

B

Yes there is B, yes, there is. It is not HI LOW relevant though. It is the speed at which the car is driving period.

That speed is 65 kph here. Just over 40 mph.

no NEED for the 4wd... but it rotates the CV's and the front driveline make sure to keep things limber.. (un-nessicary in reality, however it makes mama think she's doin maint to her truck and havin fun doin it) ....

I'd check your owners manual Mc Fly. Looks like the misses knows more than you give her credit for.

I hope that will hold you over for a few days Dowser. :aok:

Agreed NP, although here in Cali, I never have to use 4x4 unless I'm playing. Isn't there a max speed suggested for 4Hi ? 45 mph or something ? I'll have to check the owners manual later...

B

From my 1988 Owners Manual...

88manual5zl.th.jpg

Thanks for the post with scan pict Red ! Don't you have have one of those OLD 2 door versions though ? :D You know, the ones before they figured out the manual ? ;)

Yes there is B, yes, there is. It is not HI LOW relevant though. It is the speed at which the car is driving period.

That speed is 65 kph here. Just over 40 mph.

Sorry V6, but I remember the 30 mph max speed that Red's post shows... I'm assuming thats due to the strain on the T-case. What fool tries to go 30+ in 4Low, I have no idea ! I'm fairly certain I saw a max speed of <50mph warning, but maybe thats memories from my D720... I will verify this tomorrow. Regardless, who drives 50+ in 4Hi to be safe from road conditions ? That just doesn't make sense to me; either it is relatively safe for 2x or you drive slower in 4x... :shrug:

I'll dig out the manual and verify that I'm right or wrong...

B