R50 Manual Transmission Removal

PsychoPath

I have a 96 R50 with a 5spd. The throwout bearing is going on me so I'm going in there and putting a new clutch and everthing in while I'm at it. I've done some searches on the process, but haven't had much luck finding anything. At any rate, does anyone have any input? My first roadblock is that I can't find my crankkshaft position sensor. My manual says look on the bellhousing? I'm just gonna keep going, maybe it'll show itself when I start pulling other @!*% apart. I'll be taking pictures and trying to document this as well as I can, maybe it'll help someone else out.

Thanks for any information you may have...

The crank angle sensor is located on the top left corner of your trans (from the drivers seat). It has a single 10mm bolt and a wiring harness to undo. You can get to it from under your Pathy, but you just have to feel around for it. A ratcheting wrench worked better tha a socket wrench due to close tolerances.

Its not a bad job to do just plan on a couple of days to do it. The first time I changed my clutch it took all weekend. And I trashed the crank angle sensor. The second time (to replace the CAS) took about 4 hours (with help).

Have lots of extensions on hand as its easier to get to the top bolts through the shifter hole. There are a couple of bolts that you have to go in from in front of the radiator to get to them.

hope that helps

That's really helpful, actually... I'll keep feeling around up there...

To OR99: What do you mean about the trans case? I figure it's just on the ass end of the tranny, it'll come down with it, right? Am I missing somehting here? All I care about is getting to the clutch, and that's up forward.

As far as my progress: I got disgusted today when I couldn't get my rear driveshaft down. I sprayed it all down with weasel piss (PB) and will go back at it later... I'll tell you... I love this thing when it's running, but the japanese jam everything in there so tight, I hate working on it.... Maybe that's why the dealers arre so expensive... I'm just to cheap to pay for any work, I guess....

I think all he means is the T-case is damn heavy and it makes the job complicated, compared to a 2wd.

It's the CAS that gets everyone - if you're aware of it you at least have half a chance of not busting it, but it is in a miserable location.

m.

Sorry to hi-jack this post... but I got my clutch replaced at a shop and I got it back from them and the SES light was on.. Ran the codes at advance and it was the CAS.. unfortunately I had this job done in the middle of nowhere West VA as my clutch went out en route to home from school so I didnt go back to fight it.. But it's been two years now and I havent replaced it. Is this a difficult replacement?

well, i found the CAS and got it off. there's just enough room for your hand and a 10mm wrench to get up there. the problem is that you can't see it so bolting it back down is going to be difficult. I'll take some pictures of it and where it mounts when I actually drop the transmission down in a little while. As far as replacing the whole unit goes, I don't know if there's access to it with the tranny in place.

I asked earlier if you could do damage without it and the more I think about it... I dunno... Could it throw your timing off?

I don't think it can. As far as I know, timing in these things is completely mechanical, whether you're driving a WD21, or an R50....as long as you don't have the 3.5L engine.....Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....