Steering stablizer?

Bob

Every once and a while when Im driving i bet a bad shake in the steering wheel. I tap the brakes and it for the most part goes away. Does that sound like a stablizer? If it is, I was thinking about getting the Rancho RS5000 series. Anything good or bad about the rancho RS5000's? Does anyone know if you need to modify anything to make it fit?

Thanks

Bob

1. No.

2. Rancho's RS5000 series are shocks only, not steering stabilizers. If you try to use a regular shock for a SS, you'll be rather unhappy fairly rapidly. It's the valving for the shock, a SS should be stiff both directions, not in only one direction.

3. Rancho's are good and if you save your purchase reciept they'll replace it if anything goes wrong with it.

4. Not a thing, but they make a separate bracket kit to attach the Rancho SS, which you'll need to install one. No drilling or anything, it all bolts on.

Go read the Rancho SS Install thread in the How-To forum for more info.

Here is a link for the Rancho SS. They claim it to be a RS5000series.

If youdont think that it is the SS what would you think it might be?

me thinks you forgot to paste? where's the link!

Monroe also makes an OEM style SS that will fit with the OEM Nissan bracket. It's what I have and it does a pretty good job. I notice it most when traveling somewhat fast over rough roads - my body shakes all over the place, but my steering wheel doesn't jerk back & forth. It also keeps the truck from lurching in either direction when it's travelling over bumps. If you don't have one, I think it's a great upgrade for the price. ($75 or so, installed)

Don't know that it would fix your problem, though. Sounds like your problem doesn't appear to be caused by terrain...and the tapping the brakes thing has me a little perplexed.

I ditto Vsicks. Most likely worn out part are the issue. A stabilizer may help, like it did for me for a bit, but you'd be best off getting whatever is worn out replaced now before things get worse.

As for the stock replacement steering stabilizer (Monroe, etc.) it depends on if you have the stock bracket to the frame. If you have it, you can buy a replacement stabilizer and for like $25-30 and install it in maybe 15 min or less. If you don't have the bracket, either find one on a junkyard Pathfinder or Hardbody pickup, or you can buy it from the dealer, where I think they wanted like $25. I managed to get a stock bracket and bolt from a Hardbody along with the stock stabilizer for $15. If you're going for the Rancho kit, disregard all that and go for it.

Not to beat a dead horse but I've had similar problems. I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip which gave me time to think about this. I get a lot of road feedback through the steering wheel. For instance when Im going down the highway I can feel a vibration in the steering wheel, if the road changes to fresh-smooth blacktop it gets better. Or lets say you are stopped in traffic on route 80 in PA I can feel pretty distinctly the undulations in the road. Or on a bumpy dirt road the wheel is all over.

The worst is that if the road is convex I have toconstantly fight the wheel to stay center but not if itis flat. just had the tires balanced so I know I'm good with that. I looked at all the bushings etc, and it looks OK.

s this what a Steering Stabilizer does or should I try something else. It seems like a pretty good deal for $60.

Hope you all had a nice Thankgiving

see ya

Edited by ticker

Well ticker, the real test is what the steering does when you you hit that pot hole in the middle lane with your right tire 3.7 miles out of Apoloosa headed west... :P

Sorry, couldn't help it. Technically, it could just be alignment, but it probably includes things like bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, centerlink, idler arm, etc. Take it to a recommended shop and have them check it out. Unless you know the people, take any diagnosis from a large chain shop with a grain of salt as they will try to sell you a new vehicle 1 part at a time.

SSS tires wanted $500 to do 2 ball joints, mount 1 tire and align my GF's honda civic AND said it would be done in 2 hours. I told them to FO !!! Her regular mechanic (a guy I trust) said everything is fine, just needs an alignment as he thought the toe in was toed out. See what I mean ? $400 savings in 24 hours !! :angry:

Oh, it could also be rear bushings. If your rear axle is sloppy it affects the steering somewhat. I'm thinking specifically the link bushings...

B

• 1 month later...

Ok-I feel like a complete ass. I after driving around for a few weeks wondering what the &^% is going on I decided to check the tire pressure. The Jack-Holes at the oilchange place put 32psi in all the tires. Thanks for the great service! I put the tires back to factory specs and the ride is much better now. I think I still need some bushings but I'll wait for warmer weather. Just goes to show you how often its the really simple things that are the problem. -alcohol-

Here is a link for the Rancho SS. They claim it to be a RS5000series.

My Rancho SS is a 5000.

To fit the Rancho, you need to cut off the bracket on the CL for the factory SS, otherwise complete bolt on.