noisy engine fix!

ticker

Check this out:

"Mid 90's Nissan 3.0 engines may develop a ticking noise in the valve train which sounds like valve lifters. Before declaring bad valve lash, take a jumper wire and ground the solenoid controlling the variable valve timing gear. It is pretty obvious -- sticking up out of the valve cover. You only need access to one -- the easiest one(for a change) because they are in series. grounding the solenoid traps the oil in the gears.

With the engine idling, and the noise present, ground the lead. If the noise goes away, you have found the problem. Nissan has a TSB for this: Replace just the spring. According to my sources, however, it is better to replace the entire gear. The spring doesn't always fix the problem, but replacing the gear assembly will. Do the job once, and the customer pays -- do the job a second time and someone pays (not always the customer -- at least willingly)."

Its a tech tips page from a mechanic out in Sedona, AZ.

Hey all,

I like most owners of a older pathfinder am familiar with the noise of the leaking manifold. I am also the proud owner of a mysterious tapping noise that some mechanics call valve tap, others call piston slap and still others bad rod bearings. No one will give me a solid aswer to the question of what is that noise.

It is definately louder at startup, but never quite goes away. At idle it soulds like a diesel only slower and quieter, something which other people including complete strangers have told me as well. It does not seem to effect performance. I swear that when I bought it it was much quieter, I don't know if that was something the stealer did or if it was becasue it had been on the lot for a while, but within a month or so it was present and quite noticeable.

I was checking out the wd21 forums when i came accross a link that led to the above info.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Does it apply to the engine in my '95? I guess I'll find out. I'm going to try it thisweekend

let me know if you all have heard of this or if it is BS

thanks and have a good night

:shrug:

http://www.asaaz.org/canyonauto/techtips.htm#nissan%203.0

Thats interesting... I believe I know and have that sound somewhat, but I have no idea as to the validity of the information. I have some work to do on the truck and I'll try to check it out. Thanks for the post and link ! :beer:

B

run 10w30 in all my nissans and have never had a problem.. i actually have been lucky not to have too much of the manifold tick either but i did notice the other day that one of the bolts is sheared. no tick still. prob will leave it be for as long as i don't have to mess with anything in the area.

I have a 95 with the 3.0L, in referance to the sound, YES!!! Absoo-flipen-lootly

I equate the sound more to the distinct sound of the VW engine.

There is no pattern to the volume and presents.

At first I thought it was lifters but it just doesn't have that sound, than I thought Main Bearing but when you increase that idle it does not "slap" like a main bearing.

I thought it was the timing belt tensioner, replace that while doing the T-belt and the sound seem to go way, than last week that sound started, than this morning it seem to be gone.

My question is than.

Where is this valve timing solenoid? valve timing is the function of the camshaft

If it is making this noise is there something bad happening?

Or is something bad about to happen?

Or is everything o.k. it's just an annoying sound?

I have looked in the manual for this component and I'm not finding it.

I'm not saying it's not there I'm just not seeing any as a "Variable valve timing solenoid" or anything similar to that.

Is that considered to be a mechanical part or an electrical part?

Edited by vidro

To be honest Im not really sure what the tech guide is taking about. I posted this to see if anyone had heard about tis or knows the part. I'm going to sit in front of the engine with the Haynes manual, a beer and a set of jumper cables and see if I can't figure it out. It may not apply at all to these engines. I am just a guy looking for a fix to an annoying problem. Its mostly annoying because I'm about to visit my folks for thanksgiving and my dad gets this real worried look on his face when ever he hears my car start. sly

just looked in Haynes manual- having a date range from 81-95 its a little too broad to cover this and the only engine pic it has is an older engine with the big round air cleaner on top. :wacko:

Edited by ticker

HMMMM- I messed around a bit but honestly I'm not reallly sure what I am even looking for that would need to be grounded. I'll continue to look for a engine diagram, if anyone has an idea of what to look for I'd appreciate the help. I am constantly amazed by this forum and the people in it. You guys rock.

bone

• 1 month later...
try using a stethoscope to hone in on the noise..

if you don't have one, try taking a length of 1/2 inch tubing and, while holding one end in your ear, probe the engine with the other. Works almost as well and can help isloate where noises come from.

As for engine diagram, see here

1995 pathfinder factory service manual suppliment

I'm not sure. For me the noise is always there. It is louder at start up/when engine is cold. It quiets down a bit once the engine is warmed up but it never goes away. It is tied to engine speed, although when the revs are high I'm not sure if it stops or is just covered up by the regular engine noise. When I decscribe it as being inconsistant i mean that it is not like:

bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap.

but it has longer and shorter spaces between each noise like

bapbap bap bap bap bap bapbap bapbap bap bap bap bap bapbap-

if that makes any sense. it seems to be cylical with slight variations in the noise at idle. It seems to be coming from the lower rear of the engine when you stand in front. I've tried the hose to the ear thing without luck. I have a short video that i shot in which you can hear the noise but I'm not really sure how to put it up here. anyone?

ticker :crazy:

I need to clarified, my previous post was related to the noises I have in my vehicle. My noises are very similar to your first post that started this thread.

Mine sounds like the valves slapping the pistons. I had this noise when I first bought the vehicle, I changed the T-belt, tensioner, and water pump just because I was not sure when they had been last changed.

It seemed after I did that the noise was gone, than about a month later it started back back. It seems to come and go.

On your "sounds" this may be a strange suggestions and I only bring this up to help in diagnosing.

On your next oil change or when ever you want as long as it doesn't over fill the crank case, add some "Slick Fifty". The reason I bring this up is I have a 67 Cougar that had "component" ticks and knock, lifters mainly I poured some "Slick Fifty" in and it quieted it down immensely.

I can't swear by this but my thinking is, if it is an internal component making the noise than it should at least quite down for a little bit.

• 11 months later...
I have a 95 with the 3.0L, in referance to the sound, YES!!! Absoo-flipen-lootly

I equate the sound more to the distinct sound of the VW engine.

There is no pattern to the volume and presents.

At first I thought it was lifters but it just doesn't have that sound, than I thought Main Bearing but when you increase that idle it does not "slap" like a main bearing.

I thought it was the timing belt tensioner, replace that while doing the T-belt and the sound seem to go way, than last week that sound started, than this morning it seem to be gone.

I assumed my ticking noise was a lifter issue, but after reading this thread, I pose the question: Does it seem more likely that it would be the timing belt tensioner, considering it started immediately after I changed the timing belt and water pump, but not the tensioner? Before reading this thread I had no idea that the tensioner could cause a ticking noise similar to that of a defective lifter.

how could the timing belt tensioner cause the noise?

That's what I'd like to know. It didn't really seem logical to me, I just assumed it might be possible because of the way Vidro described it in the quote in my last post.

Check out this thread I just started: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12415

I have 2 videos posted of the same type of ticking sound with my 97. Sound similar to yours?

It does sound similar, but yours sounds more like an exhaust manifold leak. I've dealt with those before, and the difference now is that the ticking does not get quieter when the engine warms up. I haven't tried the stethoscope method, but MY tick sounds like it is coming from cylinder # 1.

I started this topic a year ago and have since given up on finding the cause of the tapping noise. Since the pathy is running fine I decided to just forget about it since it is'nt going to get fixed right now anyway. I also think that the tensioner theory was shown not to be an issue on this engine. I'm pretty sure I have both the leaky manifolds and valve tap (yay) It seems to be pretty common for 138,000 miles. I wish you luck and and would be interested to know if you figure it out. B)

FYI, Slick 50 is BAD for internal combustion engines. DuPont does NOT reccommend using it. The Teflon bakes onto internal parts and creates a nasty black mess after a while.

As stated above, the VVT is found only on VG30DE engines (Maximas and Z32's for the most part) and is not applicable to the VG30E in Pathfinders.

Has anyone tried using Seafoam in their engine oil and then changing the oil to 5-30 or 5-20 to see if that helps? It should be fine in the winter months.