Oil dip stick; How to read the crappy thing?

vidro

I did a search and I didn't find anything so I guess I'm the only moron that has a problem reading this crappy (not the fish) dip stick.

When I check the oil it appears that the oil line is about an inches above the H on that block indicator.

I don't see this being accurate, at the time of the oil change I only put 5 quarts, I don't remember priming the filter so that would be around 4.5 qrts in the pan.

Or is it possible that I am reading correctly and maybe there is 5 or 5.5 qrts in the pan?

Edited by vidro

just a stupid question.. do you wipe the dipstick when you first pull it out (god this sound sso nasty!) and then reinsert it for a mroe accurate reading? I do.... just cuz it always says i have mroe the first time.... ;)

*snicker*

Wow Slick, that is a horribly accurate account on several different levels... :o

Well Vidro, are you wiping your dipstick ? :unsure: WTF ? :P

Are you on level ground ? :D

Does the oil look like green oatmeal ? :blink:

Have you touched your MAF yet ? :huh:

You only need 3.5-3.75 qts, depending on the year, and I have forgotten yours... :beer:

B

Yes, I do wipe it down and I usually check it three times in one sitting.

And I have to say that it was over full by a quart, possibly a quart and a half, I think.

I just pulled the drain plug and let some drain out and kept checking the stick till it was right at the "H". It is evident that I did put to much in it I just have to question myself as to "why".

I'm usually fairly conscious of the fluid levels but in this case unconscious is probably appropriate.

I did use "Slick 50" at the last oil change which was the first one I gave it since I've owned that vehicle.

I think I've only driven it approximately 500 miles since I've been in possession of the vehicle another pun there I'm possessed or it's possessed not sure lately.

I noticed oil coming from the top passenger side front, it doesn't seem to be the valve cover I'm now kind of concerned and pissed that I might have blown out a seal because of the excessive oil.

It is a very slow leak, it may have been there prior to my getting the vehicle hoping it's one of those coincident things.

MAF? yes I popped it out... Q-tipped it with Alcohol (MadDog 20/20) and put it back in. There was dirt that came off and she seems to run a little bit better, I'm thinking that a spark plug change would be the best next tune up item, I did the Dist. cap and rotor already that seem to improve starting and some higher RPM issues, but when cold and lower RPM's there is something, not major but she has a little "jerkiness" and "hesitation" in her.

Other item: Manual tranny oil I put the 4 -90 stuff in her after getting her rebuild.

I'm aware that the filler hole is lower that it should be and there was a case redesign to fix the lubrication issue because of this.

I want to use synthetic oil in the tranny to help avoid losing the bearings again is there any recommendation on what is the best synthetic manual transmission oil?

...I noticed oil coming from the top passenger side front, it doesn't seem to be the valve cover I'm now kind of concerned and pissed that I might have blown out a seal because of the excessive oil.

I'd put money on a bad cam seal. I have the same problem - doesn't leak enough to need to add oil between changes, but does build up over time. This isn't a pressure seal, so I doubt your over filling was the cause. It is a fairly common problem on these engines.

Had I known about this (and other minor issues) when I changed my timing belt, I would have been prepared. Instead, I'll need to rip into it again when I have 6 or so hours to spare.

There are very few differences in the threads of oil filters. Most of the differences occur in the capacity (size). I always threaded an old P1 filter (leftover from my Ford 390) on my Honda. It was about 3x the capacity but the threads were the same. Problem with the pathy is space. There is barely enough space to get the suggested size in there.