Tried surching for this but......

Bob

I couldnt find anything.

When in 4 wheel drive what speeds should you not exceed in 4HI and 4LO? I dont plan on driving in 4wheel drive at all unless its totaly needed.

Thanks

Bob

Here I'll step outside and check mine real quick...

OK 30 mph for 4lo, and no mention of 4hi.

25mph is the max speed at which you can "shift on the fly" into four wheel drive (but I personally wouldn't shift into four wheel drive unless I was at a complete stop.)

Edited by SC88Pathy

Can someone say CRUNCH, hehe its not so bad if the hubs are already locked...... this time of year going to the in-law I will lock the hubs and put it back in 2wd till the snow gets annoying or slippage occures.

4Low will allow you to travel through all of the gears, mt or at... 5th gear 4low hmmm... question is how high do you need to go to get the job done? :gossip:

I know that I have used 4Hi @ 70 mph in the 88, new snow, semi-straight road and no traffic -bounce- once I got out of the field I quit being stupid :furious:

i will search for the post i made about this earlier this year... i listed all the speeds in each 4wd gear... now.. lemme go see.... *grabs magnifying glass* -study-

*ahem* -study- (went n got my book cuz couldn't find the post)

2H to 4H : any speed BELOW 25mph

4H to 2H: Any speed

4H OR 4L to 4L OR 4H: STOP and do it

2H to 4L: STOP and do it

4L to 2H: STOP and do it

does that help at all? :contract:

Edited by Slick

ive tried doing that stuff but i just stop no matter what, and i have auto hubs, does that make any difference

and just for some random info for us auto hub users, if you get stuck in 2x and you throw it into 4x dont floor it, slighty tap the gas to lock ur hubs and look out the window to see them spin before, they should not move and has you slighty tap the gas the hubs will lock and they will start moving. i know my driver side usually locks last for some reason so once i see it start to move i know i can push the gas a little more

if you do hit the gas even just a little bit it will lock real fast and you will hear it go bam, ive done that twice and learn my lesson, never broke anything but i still dont want to do it again

Edited by FLApathy

I know that I have used 4Hi @ 70 mph in the 88, new snow, semi-straight road and no traffic  once I got out of the field I quit being stupid

Yow !! Glad you didn't roll it or anything !!

So the answer seems to be 30 mph in 4lo and 45 in 4hi. Do not engage on the fly above 25 mph. Be completely stopped when shifting to and from 4lo.

Yeah, I have never even tieid engaging on the fly, but it is nice to know you can. What's odd is that I'm almost certain that the D720 I drove for years had exactly the same auto locking hubs on it, and the manual specified to only engaging ANYTHING when stopped... :shrug:

I just treat them gently...

B

TeenZombie01, mine used to grind slightly when I pull it back from 2HI to 4HI on the fly. I assume that's what you heard. But after I started using 4x4 more often it sort of died away and doesn't do it anymore. Strange but I always shift on the fly.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

Shifted on the fly once years ago and got the "clunk...clunk" so I didn't do it again until this year and now it works fine. The only difference is now I have 31s and only SOF on soft surfaces. Anyone know anything about having to backup to disengage auto hubs? I've seen several posts elsewhere to this, but nothing in a manual. :confused:

Yes Animal, to disengage the hubs you need to back up 3+ feet after putting the transfer case back into 2hi. Engaging 4x4 is on the fly, disengaging is not...

Are you sure? Although I do come to a stop before I shift back into 2HI, I've never had to back up to disengage my auto hubs. At least I'm pretty sure they're disengaging.

Are you sure? Although I do come to a stop before I shift back into 2HI, I've never had to back up to disengage my auto hubs. At least I'm pretty sure they're disengaging.

I'm going to test this, maybe today, and will let you know what I find.

I'm going to test this, maybe today, and will let you know what I find.

on my 92 if i don't back up i tend to find the auto hubs won't disengage.. but now i have my MM's... no worries :aok:

Are you sure? Although I do come to a stop before I shift back into 2HI, I've never had to back up to disengage my auto hubs. At least I'm pretty sure they're disengaging

Odds they are not until you back up somewhere down the road... Page 2-19 of the 95 owners manual

"Auto-lock hubs will not disengage until the vehicle is moved about 3 feet in the opposite direction of travel"

I translate that to "back up !" :D

B

if you don't you're still spinning the cvs needlessly. eventually they will "fall" out of it but why put you axles through that unnecessarily? 3ft or 1m.