Trying to lift....

sammyb33

ok guys, here it goes...i have been on here for quite a while...reading...this is really the first time i have posted anything just trying to get some feedback on a lift and what i have to expect....

I am looking at piecing a lift together, JGC springs, Calmini shocks and torsion bars, possibly AC upper a-arms....so with this said, just wondering because of nissans terrible steering, what i can expect to have to do to the steering to make it solid...and what else i should expect when putting on a lift on my nissan. i have put on lifts on scouts, samruai's and other off road vehicles (my toy...my frawg...my off road golf kart...will post pictures and videos soon its quite hillarious...) and know pretty much what i am doing, its just i have never really worked with a IFS, so just currious on what i can expect....also, is a body lift really that much easier, and economical than a suspension? i kno what happens, what the difference is, its just you get a body you still at tires, so that will cut gas mileage...so i dont really kno the supposed advantage of gettin a body lift, why wouldnt i just get the suspension, and have the better ground clearance....so please put your inputs, because this will decide what i end up doing!!!!

Look at the need help thread in the garage. All of the things are covered there.

Just realised that you started the 'need help thread'. What's your problem? Are you planning on posting the same topic over and over? Why ask the same question twice FFS!

The joke is not funny. It is sick!

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Vsicks you had better double check your facts before you post, he didn't start the need help thread in the garage, that was giancarlo.

As Vsicks mentioned there is an in depth discussion about this exact same topic here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6594

Anyway yes you are going to have to beef up the steering. And don't go with AC UCA's, 88pathoffroad had an extremely bad experiance with them. Go for Rough Country, Superlift, or Calmini instead (listed in order from cheapest to most expensive). :aok:

Thanks for the link Bud... ;)

Yeah, you goofed that one V6... No worries, but a sorry would be nice. ;)

I suggest you read through the provided link Sammy, and then return here (or post there) with anything that has not been answered... :beer:

B

Well...I can only offer my hypothetical lift because I don't have a WD21. I almost had an 89, but that fell through (cries) :( . Anyways, here's my $0.02.

If I was going to lift a WD21, I would most definitely do a Suspension lift over a body lift. I have installed both SLs and BLs and the BL is what I like to call a "bitch-and-a-half." Granted, the body lift only costs $100 or so to buy, but you have to realize that you will spend upwards of 15 hours installing it, modifying various parts to work with the body lift, etc, etc. The amount of work involved with installing a body lift (unless you already have the ground clearance you want, and simply wish to add bigger tires) really isnt worth it in my book.

As far as suspension goes, I would install JGC coils, sway-away torsion bars, and lift UCAs (probably the Rough Country or Superlift ones, because I despise Calmini [just check on any Xterra oriented board for Calmini problems, XterraFirma, NEXterra, XOC, etc...]). That setup will give you approximately 3" of suspension lift and allow you to upsize your tires as well. :aok:

K, he didn't start the thread but he sure as hell knows (help needed) it is there and has posted on it! My questions still stands! Why start the exact same thread when it has been covered, he knows it is there and he has participated in it? So why do it?

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

ok, grant it, it may seem like the same, but i have altered it, i just wish to kno you hard-core enthusiasts's preferences on lifts, what companies or types of lifts you use or wish you used, i just want to do this lifting right, not get some half a$$ed job or equipment first, and then have to end up paying double for quality equpiment....so im sorry you seem so pissed off about the "same thread"....but thanks for all the others who still posted and put in their input....

Since I bought my Rig already lifted, I'm really not sure if the guy before me had done anything with the steering box area. But if he didn't then you can get away with not having to many problems with the steering box itself with a 3" lift as mine never had a problem. But if you do both the BL and the SL then you most likely going to have a few issues in that area.

The Calmini UCA's I purchaced from Calmini Directly for a grand total of $378.45 US shipped to a US a Buffalo Address. They are REAL beefy UCA's and I'm impressed with the UCA's themselves, But they come with Upper Ball Joints that are throwaways as soon as you open the package. No grease fittings, no Cotter Pin even. Ditch those crappy things and get yourself some MOOGs.

I Ordered the Sway Away Torsion Bars from www.4wheelparts.com for a grand total of $170.99 shipped to a Buffalo Address. They seem to be pretty good, but since I lack experience with T-Bars I can't offer you too much help with how they compare.

I Ordered the RANCHO 9000x's (9way adjustable shocks) from www.truckaddons.com for a grand total of $371.00 shipped to a Buffalo Address.

These Shocks are wicked. A lot of versatility.

Your going to want to buy a Steering Stabilizer as well. Which I believe I saw a link somewhere on here for Summit racing that offers a RANCHO 5000 Sterring Stabilizer Kit for $78.00 USD. You'll need to buy the full kit cause it has the Mounts for it as well.

To help your steering out you should upgrade the Centerlink, Pittman arm, Idler Arm, Tire Rod Ends and pick up an Idler Arm Brace. Many Different Companies make these. L&P Preformance come highly recommended but long wait times as it's a part time job for them. Calmini also makes some good products from what I've been able to read on them. MOOG carries their own as well and of course MOOG is a reputable company so I would imagine the product is decent.

After ALL that, Calmini Offers a FULL suspension upgrage option which includes the Shocks, UCA's, Rear Springs, Torsion Bars, Panhard Rod Extension. Perhaps if you purchase a big purchace order like that, they'd consider throwing you a deal on the Steering components. Hope this helps.

Dowser

Calm down V6. Yes, you have a point but you are getting carried away. No crime was commited.

this is what i wanted in the topic, just ideas, and preferences

Sammy, it does help to be clear in the title and first post. If for no other reason than it makes searching for information much more fruitful. Glad you are getting what you needed. :beer:

B

Calm down V6. Yes, you have a point but you are getting carried away. No crime was commited.

Sammy, it does help to be clear in the title and first post. If for no other reason than it makes searching for information much more fruitful. Glad you are getting what you needed. :beer:

B

I was bored B, and then opportunitiy knocked so very loud on the door. I had to answer it. Didn't I? :D

I just did the full Calmini 3 inch lift and I am about to put in their steering upgrade. I love the lift. Just the upper A arms made a huge difference in feel (very solid). I had to burn/grindcut the bolts outta the old a arms however. The rear suspension Bracket gave us a hell of a time aligning up also.

The torsion Bars aren't that hard but the three bolts in the front are hard to get to. Use a jack to raise/lower for getting position on them, Also I didn't need to lossen the larger lower bolt to get mine in and out. The full kit makes it seem like a new vehicle on the road. It has a much more positive solid feel to it.

I am putting in the steering upgrade and the parts are amazingly beefy.