squealing belts on strartup - just replaced them

97SE

Replaced all 3 belts this weekend, and after a few miles of break-in, I'm now getting a little squealing right as I fire it up. Very quick, then immediately goes away. Anybody have any idea of how tight these should be? They all "seem" tight now. Also, do I need to worry about proper torque on the pulley, adjusting brackets, etc.?

I like to use the "just enough" method - just enough to prevent squeeling! Too tight puts more load on the bearings, making them more prone to fail.

And it is normal for a belts to stretch a bit in the first couple hundred miles. So if you tightened it to "just enough" at install, you will likely have to tighten it up just a bit more a few days later.

And they are most likely to squeal at start up - that's when the alternator goes to max output to recharge the battery. So you probably only need to tighten the belt that drives the alternator.

Edited by mws

After break-in of your belts you will have to adjust them for they have stretched. You should end up with about 1/2" - 3/4" of deflection on the longest run of belt between pulleys. Also some belts will run longer than others. I know this sounds crazy but it is true. So if you're out of adjustment on your new belts you're going to have to start over. Get a measurement on the belts and ask the parts monkey to get you a shorter one.

JMTC

M