What is the difference B/W Pennzoil VS. Valvoline

findmypath

Hey everyone,

My local dealer is running a promo where you pay $70 and you get 6 oil changes in that price. So I'm prepaying for the oil changes. I found out that they use Valvoline and they don't offer any other oils. I've been using Pennzoil every since I got my Pathy which is about a year and 13000 or so miles.

My question- are there any difference in between the oils? Should I be ok with the switch?

Thanks.

Personally I don't use Penzoil, and lean towards Valvoline. Why ?? Hell if I know. Something I read a while back ? The chicks on the commercials ? NASCAR ? Wait, I dont waste my time with that crap, strike it ! :D

While I'm sure some one can come up with a performance chart and viscous study, I wonder if it is objective. I'm sure there is SOME difference, but what, how much and who knows... :shrug: To me Dino oil is Dino oil. Thats what I run, and rarely go 3000 miles. I change about 2500 usually. I'm kind of anal about being nice to the motor; thats one of the reasons I bought a Pathy. The motors run a LONG time if takes care of and there is little doubt that fresh oil is part of it. This is my reliable vehicle so maintenence is not skimped on, not implying you do.

The biggest question is are filters included and what kind do they use ? Some are complete crap and either clog immediately or disintegrate into the oil, causing more abrasion. I believe Fram is on the crap list and NAPA Gold good stuff. I cant remember, someone chime in !! It is still a good deal for the oil, labor, and disposal, even if you bring your own filter and tell them to keep their crap ! :D

B

I've also used about every kind of dino under the sun. Mainly name brand, particularly if its on sale. :) The last couple years I've tried the High Mileage stuff, but I'm probably being taken for a ride there. The main thing of course seems to be a good filter and regular changes. If you follow the 3000 mile schedule or at least something quick, you should never run into a problem. Overkill, maybe, but its relatively cheap overkill. Say it costs you $10-15 if you do it yourself or go to this place. That's only the cost of a quarter tank of gas/ 3000 miles. Not bad.

We've got a ton of 76 Semi-Synthetic 5W-30 and 10W-30 at the Knecht's I work at, and it's only $1.29 a quart. That's really cheap for semi-synth, I'm using it and it works fine.

That's cheap, the cheapest semi-synth around here is almost 4 bucks. I usually use the high milage stuff though.

At one time, Pennsylvania crude was considered inferior to Texas crude as a base stock for motor oil due to the higher paraffin content.

Whether the resulting oils are inferior depends on how well P or QS refined it... But to make it as good would require more refining and more cost.

Regardless, that stuck in my mind and I switched to Castrol or Valvoline. I've used both for many years and have no issues with either one.

Switching? No problem at all.