Ignition Problem

dwrounds

If the key wouldn't turn the ignition switch, then it could be that your steering wheel was locked in a position that placed tension on the switch. Wiggling the steering wheel back and forth as you try to turn the switch relieves the tension so the key will turn.

If it was some other problem, please be more specific. At any rate, it sounds like you've got the problem being taken care of... ???

It was really odd. I tried wiggling the steering wheel and a bunch of other things. When the key was in the ignition I would try and turn it, and it just would not budge. I got a call and they said that they need to replace the ignition switch. Is that kind of odd to have to replace the ignition switch at 100,000 miles?

danny

So then, they've already/started swapping out the ignition? I hope that this freak occurance doesn't cost you an arm and a leg! One would think automatically that it has something to do with the steering wheel. In HS, my 86 Buick Skylark would need like close to 1/8th of a turn to turn the ignition. You'd have to pull down on the wheel pretty hard.

are you using an original key ro one that you had cut as a duplicate? I had a key that would work one way and not the other. If it wouldn't turn, I'd pull it out, turn it over and she'd be fine.

Certainly possible that the tumblers in your ignition somehow got screwed up. Any indication of a possible theft attempt?

A worn and/or bent key can do that sometimes. Also, if you have a lot of weight hanging from the key, it can damage the ignition lock over time and seize up like that. Crud can do it it also. My GF had that happen in her Honda and I was able to get it to work again by flushing it out with WD40, working the key, removing and cleaning it (repeat 100 times).

B

They replaced the ignition switch and lock and it cost me about $300. Originally the old key would not work so I tried a brand new one. Also, I leave my car locked up in a warehouse with the key in the ignition so if the one other employee wanted to steel it, he could have just driven off with it. Owell, it is all done now I just thought it to be kinda odd that it happend. Thanks for all the imput!

Danny

Precise1 is right about the weight of your keys that was a well learned expensive mistake for me back in the day in a corsica!!

incidentally...i know this is just stupid late of me to respond but to prevent others.....if your shift selector thinks it is not in park it will not give you the key also; along with the steering column being turned at an angle. -study-

Luckily, I do not have many key's on the key chain. Just the ignition key, key to the door, and the keyless entry remote. Thanks for the tip. I might have to tell my wife to leave some keys at home!