95 SE Front Brakes

Casey.T

I am sitting here in wonder:

Why have I always Paid good $$$'s for someone else to do my brakes. Granted most of the time in the past they were going crunch crunch crunch when I took them in:)

Noticed that they were getting down there when I took off the front wheels to drill the holes for the SmittyBuilt side steps.

It took about 10-15 min on each side. I was not worried about the rotor's due to the fact that the previous owner had the brakes done with rotors around 100k. The Meinike receipt was in the glove box :contract: and $12 for pads. (Did someone say CHEAPSKATE)

Do you bleed them every time B? I've never bled my brakes when doing them, unless they feel soft after a short run around the block. I figure, why bleed if they still grab hard, and the pedal isn't soft. :shrug:

Yes, I do Simon. I guess it isn't necessary if you don't open the system anywhere, but it is also cheap end easy... Last weekend I replaced the brake fluid and bled the system without doing anything else. I'm kind of particular about brakes. ;)

B

I never bleed mine unless they are mushy or if I pull the piston. Just compressing and replacing the pads shouldn't require you to do anything with the fluid other than make sure you don't overflow the resivior and top it off at the end after pumping the brakes a few times with the new pads in.

I'm the same way. Once every 2 years or so, I like to bleed the system completely, and put new fluid in, but I just open the reservoir when I compress the pistons on the caliper, and I've found that sometimes the system "back bleeds" itself during this process. I've never had a problem with soft brakes, so I guess I'm doing something right.

I'm the same way. Once every 2 years or so, I like to bleed the system completely

Well, unless you need brakes more often than every 2 years, it seems to me like you are bleeding and flushing the system more often then if you just did it every brake servicing... :shrug:

Either way is fine, and as long as the brakes work fine, thats all that matters. I just have a dendency to everything at once. I hadn't changed the brake fluid in the truck (had it 1 year now) and it was no longer clear, so it definitely needed it !

B

That could be true. But it depends on what type of driving I've been doing, and definitely on pads. I've had some pads only last 30,000kms. I've had my current one's on now for 90,000kms. So It all depends.

I did lower the level in the resivior, when I completed the R2 on the pads I did pump up the system several times to make sure the new pads seated.

Test run around the block went fine and the ABS worked too:)

brakes are a good thing...i lost a master cylinder 1 day on my way to school...all i gotta say is im glad i have a manual...cuze i had 0 brakes...that sucked really really bad...drove it the next 4 days till i could get parts and time to fix it...

my brakes are actually puzzling me...they'll get soft randomly and if its left over night or something the peddle is firm as if it were pumped while the car was off...im guessing i get condensation in the system when it starts cooling off b/c if i bleed them i'll get that nasty greyish water in fluid to bleed out...but its just got me puzzled cuze it ususally happens on season changes and im not loosing fluid anywhere

brakes are a good thing...i lost a master cylinder 1 day on my way to school...all i gotta say is im glad i have a manual...cuze i had 0 brakes...that sucked really really bad...drove it the next 4 days till i could get parts and time to fix it...

my brakes are actually puzzling me...they'll get soft randomly and if its left over night or something the peddle is firm as if it were pumped while the car was off...im guessing i get condensation in the system when it starts cooling off b/c if i bleed them i'll get that nasty greyish water in fluid to bleed out...but its just got me puzzled cuze it ususally happens on season changes and im not loosing fluid anywhere

Um, maybe you could change the fluid just in case to check. Contaminated brake fluid would be a bad thing.

Edited by Mr. Pickles