Automatic or Manual hubs?

solid snake

What's the difference between the automatic and manual hubs, besides that you have to get out of your truck to engage them, are, manuals better than the auto's. I personally like that i don't have to get out of the pathy to engage 4wd. I was considering Mile Markers hubs, would this be a good investment, or just stick with the auto's?

Most serious offroaders prefer the manual hubs... Stronger, simpler, more reliable and if you get stuck without being in 4x4, you can lock them in. The auto hubs have the convenience factor but you have to roll to lock them, they have been known to fail and I remember someone describing issues with backing down hills or something although I have not encountered that. It is a worthwhile investment to make your rig more robust. Also, I believe you can lock the hubs when you hit the trail but still drive with the transfer case in 4hi. The front driveshaft will rotate, but will not be engaged.

B

i like my autos. will stick with them; don't care to get out.. rolling is good! you can engage them when stuck because when the axle turns it will lock but it's a bit of a clunk. backing up.. yeah they unlock and then lock again.. have to give a bit of gas to make them relock quick. ;)

Auto hubs have convienence going for them, and that's it. As prior stated, manuals are stronger and more reliable, but they also do a better job when you are spiinin the front wheels. eg: You have burried your front end in some mud, a root, whatever an need to back out. When going from forward rotation to reverse, an auto hub will have to disengauge, and the wheel will have to spin a couple of rotations before they will re engauge in the reverse direction. This extra spinning my cause you to just dig yourself deeper. A manual will remain engauged the entire time. I think what B was trying to say is that you can leave the front hubs locked and pop into 2 HI, but that is only recomended for short distances, as you CV axels will still spin, and wear unnecessarily.

I have purchased a set of Warn Premium hubs, they have thier own little spot in the back of the 92XE, with the tools, Grade 8 bolts and some Grease.

I will use the Manuals till they break, and if they dont then we still have the safety net:)

I prefer manual hubs... just beacause they seem more reliable.

I have the MileMarkers which are not as "pretty" as teh Warns.. but they work just as well and are half teh price. I paid $85.99 for mine back in march from Summit Racing (PN # MMK-435).. no complaints here!

solid snake

I think I'll stick with the auto's and buy the manuals once I have some cash. Sounds like a better investment.

Yea it really depends on the sort of 4x4 you do. I was quite happy with the auto locking hubs for the first 100,000 km but then I started to become a little more adventurous and the hubs were a bit more warn out which means they unlock easier.

I have broken two auto hubs now. It happens if you are on a steep hill climb and get stuck, you roll back a bit to get another go at it (the hubs unlock) then you steer a little to take a new line and give it to her. Remember the hubs or sometimes only one are now unlocked but you are still in 4x4. As you put the power down the hub tries to lock just as maximum revs are reached. Grrrrrrr, clunk, bang! and you are a three or two wheel drive halfway up a steep hill.

Scares the stuffing out of my wife. Not fun replacing a hub in the mud by the side of the track. I have carried a spare hub for a while now.

As far as reversing down a hill (course I try not to be seen doing this) I find that the hubs unlock and then lock again as you use a little power but you really cant rely on them staying locked and using engine braking in 4x4, just have to ride the brakes, hope its a short hill.

If the hubs are in good condition they work fine and do not unlock quite as easily. If you drive nice and smoothly it’s really not a problem until you do the roll back described above.

Mine have done around 190, 000 km so I am about to swap to manual hubs. Now I will probably forget to lock them in and look like an idiot halfway up a hill in 2WD.

Geordie

Edited by geordie4x4

The 4 wheelin I do is in sand.....don't have mud, or much rain for that matter, here in arizona. I have experienced what you mean Geordie when climbing a steep sand dune. I get stuck and pull it in reverse and it seems that the auto's don't lock when im going down. So i think it's just the weight of my truck pulling it self down the incline.

Yes sand driving is a lot softer (pardon the pun) on your drive gear. I also do a lot of beach and dune driving in West Australia and never realy had a problem with a hub. Only when I was stuck in a dip and had to reverse and go forward a few times to climb out, the hubs locked with a clunk in reverse then unlocked and re locked when in forward again. On sand there is much less chance of damaging something because your wheels litteraly do not have the same grip and when the hub locks there is much less strain. Its probably only since I put bigger grippier tyres on that I have damaged the hubs on steep rock mud hills.

Auto locking hubs are also realy good when crossing rivers with crocodiles in the north of Australia. Less ikely to be eaten.

I never understood what's so hard and involving about having manual hubs to you guys? I lock mine when i air down or whatever before I hit the trail, and i don't even bother unlocking them until i get home and powerwash the truck.

You know that you don't have to lock them and unlock them every time you engage 4WD. It's ok to drive with them locked and transfer case in 2wd, in fact there is less wear and tear on the hubs when they're in locked position.

Sometimes in the winter i keep the hubs locked as i like the way the steering feels with the diff turning on slippery surfaces.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Yes OK so I'm a slack whimp of an offroader. Unfortunately most of the Pathfinders and imported Terrano in Aus have the auto lockes and because these are not a bloody Toyota, it is actually quite an effort to get manual hubs over here. I have been trying to find something for less than $250 Aus for quite a while.

My work vehicle a 2003 Navara, has the manual hubs and your right, it is not that much effort. I use it nearly every day to tow a heavy boat over the beach or up a steep ramp.

G

Guest pathy1

my 94 st pathfinder come standard with manual hubs. i broke one while i had it off the pathy. bought avm manual hubs for it for about $120.00. driving in sand can be very hard on the whole vehicle. depends on the sand. here QLD Australia all types of sand. perfer hard tracks.

Edited by pathy1

my 94 st pathfinder come standard with manual hubs. i broke one while i had it off the pathy.  bought avm manual hubs for it for about $120.00. driving in sand can be very hard on the whole vehicle. depends on the sand. here QLD Australia all types of sand. perfer hard tracks.

The type of sand we have in Arizona is the very loose, soft kind. But my Pathy manages to tackle it no problem with the auto's

what's up with that damn warning level?!

Edited by solid snake