How does backspacing work?

Pathylogical

I know backspacing is yalked about a lot and a search would bring up pages of results that is the problem, I have tried.

Which way does the tire move with greater backspacing?

If you went from 4 inches to 4.75 inches would the tire stick out of th wheel well more?

If I am going for 15x8's with a 31 inch tire is 4.5 backspacing right with a 3 inch Calmini susp lift ?

Thanks guys,

Pathylogical

I have the JGC coil lift, with 31's on Chevy 6 lug rims with 3.5" of BS..I think my other set have 4" of BS. 4" is really the highest you want to go, as yes, the bigger the BS number, the further they stick out. There are laws about how far your tires/rims can stick out..not that I have ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for it.... good luck!

Just Google it. One search and I find:

Backspacing: The distance from the back edge of a wheel rim to the back of the center section.

A higher BS number indicates a wheel with the majority of the rim space on the wheelwell side. A "0" offset rim is a neutral wheel with equal amounts of rim between fender and curb, and a wheel with an low-number offset of -4 would cause the tire to stick way out of the wheelwell.

Yes and in the land down under if ya tire sticks out past your fender then say hello to Mr. Copper!!! :angry:

We are allowed 2in here (last I checked anyway), but really it depends on the officer. Some simply don’t care and some seem to hate 4x4’s.

As 88 implied, offset and backspacing are two different measurements. Knowing one and the width of the rim, you can calculate the other. Sometimes it is necessary to know both for proper fitment and clearance... :shrug:

B

I swear in other posts I saw recomendations to go with anywhere from 4.25 to 4.75. Now all you guys say over 4 is too much. and into the 3's would be better.

Anyone else want to weigh in on what BS they are running. It will be a 85 with the 3 inch Calmini susp. lift and 31 inch tires.

Thanks again

Dan

I swear in other posts I saw recomendations to go with anywhere from 4.25 to 4.75. Now all you guys say over 4 is too much. and into the 3's would be better.

Anyone else want to weigh in on what BS they are running. It will be a 85 with the 3 inch Calmini susp. lift and 31 inch tires.

Thanks again

Dan

Perhaps the confusion is with the terminology being used. (backspacing vs. offset)

With Backspacing, the lower the number, the further out your tires will stick out.

Stock Pathys (at least the older ones) are 4.75"-5.0" of backspacing. I went to 3.75" backspacing with 33's and they stuck out about 2" past the fenders. I would go to around 4.0-4.5.

I have 3.25" and they really stick out.

...then again I could have it backwards!...

That's unlifted with 31's. Lifted with 32's or 33's, it's desireable to have a little less BS to keep the tires in the right place and avoid fender rubbing or damage.

I have 33x13.50x15" Super Swamper LTB's on 15x8.5" alloy generic wheels with neutral backspacing. That gives me about 4 1/4" of BS with an 8.5" wide rim.