Rear Lift Springs with Rancho 2.5" Lift Shocks

SteeevO

i have read all over the forum that i could get JGC coils for 3" but the rancho shocks that i have say they are good with up to 2.5" lift. i know rancho HAD 2.5" rear springs but they are now discontinued.. what other springs are there for 2.5" ??... if u were to put the 3" springs, would i be OK with the rancho shocks??...i mean ..it's only 0.5" more right??

ok so now that that is out of the way...i have read that the best is to just go to the junk yard is that right? or is there a better place to get them? also how does it ride with the f100 or JGC coils(don't know what year or if it matters) ? ...i'm assuming it's gonna be more stiff...and how much do they actually lift? i thought it was 3" but i just read 3.5", i don't wanna get too big i'm only on 30's..

thnx

Edited by SteeevO

It will ride fine, maybe just a tad stiffer. Plus, you have options with the Jeep GC springs. You can straighten out the pigtail coil for maximum lift, or cut if off to lessen it a bit. I cut about 3/4 of the first pigtail coil off, right to where it first tapers, and got just about 3".

ok thats good to know about adjusting it by cutting... i was aloso looking at the calmini web site and saw in the 3" lift kit there are a rear track bar bracket... i don't know what that is and if it's required or a good idea...what does it do?? also a brake line extension bracket... with my shocks not being as long as the calmini ones ...i am thinking i won't have as much travel so i won't need the brake extension ...but i still don't know what the rear track bar bracket is??....

The Ford springs will make the ride stiff, and they'll end up being shorter than stock springs, so they'll also be more prone to falling out of their sockets if you manage to flex the rear out enough. The JGC springs are the way to go if you can do it yourself.

The panhard rod drop bracket (track bar bracket) simply puts the panhard rod back to where it needs to be to keep the rear axle in stock position with additional lift installed. Other kits don't come with one, so yes, it's OK to drive around without one.

yeah i have the rear sway bar taken out and I jacked up the rear of the pathy from the trailer hitch to see if they would fall out and watch for stretching brake lines etc.. and everything seemed to be fine. so if i get longer springs i think everything will be ok???..i'm thinking of just ordering the calmini 3" ones i know it's more $$ but how would the ride differ? which way is actually better...if it matters at all.. so basically if money was no object for getting 3" lift what would be the best way? would u still use the JGC springs? or would u get new ones from somewhere else? if so where from??

thnx

Edited by SteeevO

I haven't experienced the Calmini's, but most every experience I've heard involving Calmini products has been great. As for the Jeep springs, once you deal with that pigtail (either cut it or heat and bend it) they are pretty much drop in once you disconnect/loosen everything in order to remove the old ones. Some people have talked of using spring compressors, but I didn't have to at all. I've also heard people worried about the brake lines being stretched when you drop down the axle, but all I did was unbolt the little guides for the lines and they were fine. So, you're down to price and amount of effort involved. 88 is way experienced in the rear coils, as he's tried all the junkyard options it seems. Do what he says (88, you've got a thread on this on your forum, right? or even here?), and you'll be in good shape. Either way, junkyard or new Calmini's, I bet you'll be happy. Good luck!

this is a pic of my pathy with stock springs, and afterwards with the 3in coils from AC. The AC coils are nice! not to stiff, not to bouncing. I recommend doing it right the first time, and borrowing a spring compressor from a local parts store to put them in. And like said before, the Ford coils, are stiff, and could fall out on flex, the JGC look good, but will sag with a load in the back.

compare.jpg

I have the Ford F100 coils, and i've never had any issue with them falling out or coming close to. Also the ride is super nice, in fact pretty much the same to stock with the sway bar removed in the rear.

What's nice about the Ford coils, is that I can load the back of the truck with gear, tools, parts, gas, etc... and the rear end drops down only 1/2-1 inch. Doesn't ruin your clearance on trails.

does anyone else have a pic of thier pathy lifted 3"? i want to get a good idea of what i'mgoing to look like after...i'm also on 30's so i don't want to look funny going 3"...what do you think?

Steve, you might try what I did to my other truck before lifting it.

Break out the jack and jack stands or blocks. Jack up the truck and use blocks/jack stands or 2-4 jacks and lift that beast up by the frame. You can easily change the amount of "lift" you apply to it with the jack(s) This will allow you to see exactly what your truck will look like lifted ;)

And since adding or removing lift when doing this is so easy, you will be better able to determine exactly how much lift you want.