Buying a New "to me" Pathfinder

TrailChaser

First off I'm looking at a 91SE, it has a real clean engine.

I don't know if the engine is clean from them cleaning it or if it's just been well taken care of.

I checked the air filter to see how horrible it was clogged, and to my surprise it was pretty clean. I checked the oil and it's recently been changed, with no real bad smells...

I checked the tranny fluid and was not happy tho, it was more brown than red and had a kinda burnt smell, plus it has a homemade trailer hitch on the back... The salesman says it's a consignment truck and he knows the owner. I'm gonna get a few questions answered about what he was towing and how far/often. The salesman told me it was probly other cars. :nono:

Whoever welded the hitch on did of good job bracing it, but did a crappy job with the actual welding(beads looked poor) and it looks totally cheesey because it's all made from angle iron.

I'll take some pics when/if I go back.

It HAS a LSD rearend confirmed by the sticker on the diff.

I grabbed the centerlink and tried to wiggle it, but it was nice and tight. I couldn't see much under the frontend because of the factory skids and splash guards.

The AC works.

It has a nice solid frame and the only rust I could find was in the same place as everyone else... Under the back passenger seat. The rust there is kinda bad. mostly rusted thru in one spot and rusted all the way thru on another spot... I'm a little unhappy about finding that.

The outside of the truck is nice. It has a nice red paint job and the legos with all the caps still on.

The tires look ok.

It only has damage in two spots and the only one worth mentioning is on the hood. It just looks like someone bumped into something on one side and dented the downward part of the hood at the very front of the truck.

I wish I would have thought to bring my camera but I totally forgot...

The asking price is $3,500 but he said he could go down to $3,200... Plus I asked about the water pump and timing belt being replaced and he told me that if I buy the parts he'll have'em installed.

SOOOOO, tell me what you think from my long drawn out description. I'm going back later today to snap a few pics and let my wife check it out.

Please post any questions I need to ask that I forgot, or things that I need to look for that I overlooked this last visit. Like: do all the power windows work, blinker, brakes, sunroof leak?, check under the seats for the S/P tool kit and rust.

Let me know whether to run away or run to the bank... :beer:

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. :bow:

I thought about the x manifold studs as an afterthought, while driving away. I didn't hear the signature ticking when I cranked'er up, but at the time I was focused on the AC and how cold it was gonna get while sitting there.

About the AC... I didn't think to check and see if it's still R12 or if it's been converted, but the AC got about as cold as my r134a AC that was in my 95 while sitting still.

About the conversion... Is it a good thing? How likely is it that the converted system will preform good for a few more years?

I forgot my DL at home so I didn't get to test drive it...

I'm still a little concerned about that tranny fluid. Maybe the fluid wasn't as dark as I thought, maybe I just had dirty hands and that mixed with the fluid when I wiped the dipstick off...(yes I checked the oil and tranny fluid using my fingers as a rag) :crazy:

A little over an hour before I go back with the wife, camera, and DL... I'll bring a white paper towel to recheck the tranny fluid.

Edited by TrailChaser

no tranny cooler, cept for the stock one in the rad.

Just got back, took a few pics... I'm in a hurry right now so i'll post'em in a bit. I drove it and the shock are TOASTED tranny fluid is almost black(took pic of it) and it's making a wierd rattling noise. Got the price down to $2,900+tax with t-belt W/P job plus he'll put on all new shocks.

I'll be back with all the details later.

The heat Shield on the passenger side exhaust manifold is gone. To me that means that someone has been in there doing something.

If you have a small mirrior and a flashlight you will beable to see if any of the studs are broken and or if there are some newer ones:) Was the heat shield on the drivers side still there?

Body Rust P... got to be an east coast rig. I did see a replacement Pannel somewhere for the section under the rear seat.

If all of the lights and turn signals work your doing better than my 3 added together :beer:

I already have him down to $2900, but the tranny fliud is whats got me worried.

I think I'm gonna pass on it...

It may be from the East coast, but it's now on the middle coast. Houston, TX B)

If you follow the forum you may know what I am going to say already. You live in FLA. for the price you can do alot better. East coast rigs in the condition of this pathy and age should run $2500 or under. The engine bay has been steam cleaned and oiled up to look good. I would be very concerned about the tranny and I am going to guess that the rear suspension busings are shot.

An additional item is withthe increasing price of gas this sellers market is growing smaller every day. At 15 to 18 mpg these Pathys are not exactly fuel efficient. :(