i'm getting my license back

northgapathy

6 months isnt too bad...i gotta friend that lost his for 3 years...he ran from a cop for like 2 mins on an adrenaline (sp?) high and realized what he was doing went to stop hit a tree due to front brake failure and the cop was gonna let him go b/c it was a misunderstanding of him street racing his buddy in a camaro but they were just cruisin like 5 over...he doesnt street race does everything on the dragstrips and had all his time slips in the glove box to show that and the cop was like i feel bad u wrecked ure car i'll just let u go since it was a mistake i dont wanna ruin ure life...another cop showed up arrested him and he lost his liscense for 3 years...judge told him he shoulda siad he was intoxicated and he woulda lost it for a year...i find that to be stupid b/c i find some1 with excessive speed safer than some1 thats intoxicated IMO

one thing i have learned from him is downtime on driving means uptime on the vehicle...hes got an 2000 ws-6 trans-am and has bumped the HP up from around 300 to about 385 right now working towards his goal of 400-450...its a sweet car...

i might be up for the run in URE...

Youth will be youth. They hear what us older folks say.. but they just have to test the "wrong" way as well to see how far they can push it.

As for your comment Wheelman about "you haven't been in an accident yet, so doubt you ever will"....I pitty you. I have had 3 vehicles destroyed while they were parked outside my house, and I have been hit head on as well while I was at a standstill. Those who think "if it hasn't happened by now, it never will" are the ones who usually feel invincible and end up causing the worst wrecks.

I have never so much as dented one of my cars (except off road) nor have I ever been in an accident that was my fault, purely because of luck and the fact that I have been driving since 1986 and also raced 3 types of cars in 3 completely different types of racing. I drive defensively and it seems to keep my vehicles in one piece, as well as me. Cars can be replaced, lives can't, and I am not just talking about you.

Edited by Slick

Wheelman, I understand what you are saying; I was rather fiesty at that age myself. BUT...

I think wreck-wise, I'm fine

What makes you say that, just stop and think before you answer.

I'm just saying that a wreck caused by me, in my opinion, is not likely.

If you are always speeding, cutting things close and passing illegally, I'd say it is quite likely that it will be your fault. Remember that someone else can do something stupid yet you will be partly or fully to blame due to 'illegal' actions.

I'm not your dad, and I'm not ragging on you, it's just some friendly advice in hopes that it saves you some grief. Remember, you are in a 4,000 SUV !

What keeps me nice and mellow is the FEAR that I may hurt someone. Yes, FEAR. Putting someone in the hospital is not pleasant. Standing there while they put the bloody and/or screaming person on a strecher is very sobering. No, I haven't caused this myself, but I have done some ride alongs with a paramedic buddy of mine. A lot of the time, there is a driver who is very dejected or sobbing saying something like 'I just looked away for a second' or 'I thought I could make the light' or something. Again, this is just my perspective. Sorry about the tirade, but when you have seen this a few times, you remember.

B

As another older member, I know what they're going through....oh wait! I still fdo the same things I did at 18 except a little more cautiosly.....

My thing is Have fun while your young, just try not to take it too far that you ruin someone elses life. If you ruin your own life, thats your bad, live and learn, but involving others....No way.

My Pathfinder couldn't outrun a leaking, smoking 87 Hyundai Excel never mind a cop!

As another older member, I know what they're going through....oh wait! I still fdo the same things I did at 18 except a little more cautiosly.....

My thing is Have fun while your young, just try not to take it too far that you ruin someone elses life. If you ruin your own life, thats your bad, live and learn, but involving others....No way.

My Pathfinder couldn't outrun a leaking, smoking 87 Hyundai Excel never mind a cop!

I would never try to outpace a cop. Actually, I'll admit that if I was in big trouble and on a crotch rocket I'd probably give the cop a run for his money. I have a few friends who are aquainted with some officers and they say that if someone on a bike tries to run, they just let them go because there's nothing that they can do to keep up.

Just my immature 2 cents.

Well, how can I tell my son years down the road not to speed if I do not know the consequences myself? I deliver Chinese food, and I actually get paid more the faster I am. I guess that's irresponsible of my employer, but I like the benefit. I speed, I pass in no passing lanes, I cut things close when crossing traffic... it's all fun and games until I wreck my car.

Or kill someone!

The Hyundai I could probably outrun, but definate no on the cop car, trust me I'v tried. ;)

However a stock CRX has no problem, at least if you're on twisty backroads. :D sly

Not that I'v tried but my friend has done this a couple of times. He sold that CRX, and now he's got another with a B16 swap, that M F'er is FAST! Looks real good too, not riced out like every other CRX on the road. Not as fast as his corvette though. Or his V8 Plymouth (can't remember what model it is right now) with super hot cams. Thing can't idle for more than a minute or so, but it does 60 in first gear!

Did I mention that this guy has a lot of cars? He doesn't have a 4x4 yet though, I'm pestering him about that.

Anyway after I got a ticket for speeding and less than a week later got in an accident in my old car I decided that it was time to play it a bit more cautiously. I still drive fast but never faster than is prudent for the road conditions.

And as for the pathy being invisible to cops, oh yeah it is! I went bye a CHiP doing 45 in a 35 and he didn't so much as blink. Probably because there were a couple of other cars in front of me doing the same thing and in California we'v got this great little "Flow of Traffic" law, if everyone else is going the same speed you are (as long as it's not something outrageous) you can't get a ticket.

Edited by SC88Pathy

I've realized that if you're passing a cop going the opposite direction, you have to be going really fast to make him turn around and come after you. I was going 65-70 in a 45 and passed a cop... he looked at me but didn't do anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would let you all know that as I was expecting another ticket, I got one. I told you guys I was due. It wasn't really that bad either. 78 in a 70 at 3:00 in the morning with nobody else on the road. I understand that I deserved my first ticket, but this one was ridiculous.