Best bang for the buck MOD?

vidro

I haven't done any mod work on car other than older American muscle cars, the cars that still are carbureted, have points and came from the factory with single exhaust.

So I'm asking you skilled and experienced dudes and dudets (woe, bad shrooms and to much Rigdemont High).

After I get my transmission done, what would be the best bang for the buck "cheap" mod that I could do to this pathy to increase it's performance?

Edited by vidro

yep, new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor will do you right... an open air filter won't necessarily get you "speed" unless you match it up with new exhaust too, which can put you in the ~$300 range altogether...

I guess I'm use to tweaking for acceleration and speed, this is my reference to performance.

I will have to change my perception of performance when in comes to SUV's

In my "muscle" car tweak days performance mods were things like adding headers, MSD ignition, adjusting carb jet size.

Maybe I should stand back and reevaluate my thinking when it comes to SUV performance mods. It maybe not be an SUV issues as much as it is a 21 century technology thing.

Newer vehicles have the capability of having "chip" upgrades to the computer to enhance performance.

Are there such things as this that have been done or recommended?

Any mods on the injector system?

How about the ignition and exhaust?

When I located this forum I made mention I was a newbie with many questions. I appreciate all the responses and replies to my post.

Please continue to bare with me cause I'm still learning

Newer vehicles have the capability of having "chip" upgrades to the computer to enhance performance.

Are there such things as this that have been done or recommended?

You can send your ECU in to be modded to JWT for a few extra horsies. I'm not sure if anyone here has ever done it, but I've heard good things about JWT from other vehicle owners.

The upgrade, aparently, gives you the most upgrade if combined with high performance cams.

well the pathfinder doesnt have a chip upgrade but you can get your ecu reprogrammed cant remember who does them..I dont think its worth the money. everything else on your list you can do. some new headers or a catback exhaust. new intake as stated above. Just look around the forum some more you should be able to find what your lookin for.

edit..always post the same thing after everyone. I love it :contract:

Edited by iLLlegal

Ergh, you picked a fun vehicle to play with. Unique, but a PITA to mod and get more power out of.

The first thing you've got to know is that the engines in these things are undersized for the amount of weight they're pushing around. That's why they only make 150 HP and get 15 MPG. That's pushing around 4000 lbs for a 4WD model. With smog-legal accessories, the power output is crap compared to older musclecars.

Second thing, if the stock system isn't running totally perfect and in good repair, most performance mods won't help much cause the old parts or not-in-tune parts will bring down the performance of the engine in total.

Third thing, start expecting to pay big bucks for parts. These things were made in Japan up to 1995 and most aftermarket parts are limited in availibility. Even from American companies operating in the US.

You can do the standard stuff to these motors, replace cams with performance cams, get headers(for 87-95 Pathfinders, anyway), rework the exhaust, revamp the intake and air filter, port and polish the heads(that takes a LOT of time and work tho)...you get the idea.

Anything else?

While I'm asking, what is the diff between a VG30E and a VG30i engine?

I have gone to 2 sites to look up my VIN# and one site gives me the "i" engine the other gives me the "E".

I will also say I've never seen a car with some many stereo speakers in it,

I think I've counted 8 so far I'm not sure how you would hook a stereo up to 8 speakers.

Actually both VG30I and VG30E were fuel injected, but the "i" was throttle body injected and the "E" is multi-point injection. As for performance chips, Jim Wolf does good stuff, I have a "unichip" system coming for my Pathfinder that goes in between your ECU and the harness. It is flash programmable so if you add a component all you have to do is have it re-flashed. And if you ever sell the truck and want to remove it you simply remove it. Total plug and play.