lower gears

northgapathy

What is your current gear ratio?

To find out, simply look on the door jamb for the decal with all the tire information on it. You will find an axle code. HG46 means you have the H233b with the 4.6 gears. If it is different, just post up and someone will decipher it for you. :aok:

im not sure which ratio i want yet but i'm runnin 33's, and im thinking about going up a size or two in tires, so stock won't do, but thanks

Well, I ment if your stock ratio was higher than the lowest stock ratio available then you might be able to go that route.

Like my 88 Pathy has the 4.3 gears, I can get a set of 4.6s from the junk yard and gear up real cheap that way. :aok:

To find out, simply look on the door jamb for the decal with all the tire information on it. You will find an axle code. HG46 means you have the H233b with the 4.6 gears. If it is different, just post up and someone will decipher it for you.

Seems like this is where to start Bud... ;)

B

To find out, simply look on the door jamb for the decal with all the tire information on it. You will find an axle code. HG46 means you have the H233b with the 4.6 gears. If it is different, just post up and someone will decipher it for you.

B

umm, that didn't help me any, but thanks anyways

B

umm, that didn't help me any, but thanks anyways

I'd be looking at the compliance plate on the fire wall in the engine compartment.

im guessing that makes my ratio 4.3

Seems to me it's good to know where you are before you look to where you want to be, but I guess

that didn't help me any

Just trying to help. I'd determine exactly what gears I had before swapping, be it pulling from a wrecking yard, or buying new and paying for the install... :shrug: Good luck Bud.

B

He KNOWS what the ratio is. Look up. ^ ^ ^ 4.375.

The cheapest route is to pull a front diff centersection and rear diff centersection from a junkyard Pathfinder with an auto tranny. It will put you back to where you should be with bigger tires. Yes, it will make a difference.

No, it's still not cheap. No, it's not that easy...but it's either that or pay $500 per axle for new gears PLUS the price to install them by a professional. You decide.

it is a HG43, im guessing that makes my ratio 4.3
He KNOWS what the ratio is. Look up. ^ ^ ^ 4.375

Well, I did not see it stated anywhere that he was certain that is what he currently had. Either I'm blind or stupid. Either way, my input is useless.

B

and i really don't want to pull the parts myself, yall know what i mean

Well, how were you planning to install the new gears if you got them?

Just go to a full service yard and have them pull the parts :shrug: Hell, if it's like the one yard I go to they charge a core charge so you can take the used/ broken parts back and get some cash back (they just want the scrap to recycle, svaes my trashcan on fenders and such).

Edited by GrimGreg

it is a HG43, im guessing that makes my ratio 4.3
He KNOWS what the ratio is. Look up. ^ ^ ^ 4.375

Well, I did not see it stated anywhere that he was certain that is what he currently had. Either I'm blind or stupid. Either way, my input is useless.

B

My apologies, Precise1. I should have said that his interpretation of the code plate was correct, and that he does indeed have 4.3 gears.

i actually did look on the plate on the firewall, i can install them myself my dad owns a japanese car repair shop that specializes in nissans, only reason i dont want to pull it myself is it gets pretty hot down here in the summer and the last place i want to be is lying in the dirt ripping apart a rear end, believe me i know what its like i worked in a junkyard for a year, didn't mean to piss anyone off, or belittle anyones opinion so i apoligize if i did, thanks for the help

i actually did look on the plate on the firewall, i can install them myself my dad owns a japanese car repair shop that specializes in nissans, only reason i dont want to pull it myself is it gets pretty hot down here in the summer and the last place i want to be is lying in the dirt ripping apart a rear end, believe me i know what its like i worked in a junkyard for a year, didn't mean to piss anyone off, or belittle anyones opinion so i apoligize if i did, thanks for the help

Your fine and did nothing wrong. It looks like an ego thing. :lol:

Was the info you needed on the fire wall?

Edited by Vsicks Pathy