Those silly Germans !

Precise1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jealous Slick, while I like most old muscle cars, I have a soft spot for mopar... I'm suprised Dave doesn't use their engines in the sand rail, they have some of the best... Think about a 340 6pak in the rail !!! WHEEE !!

B

For the following reasons... Mopar will never be inserted in the Chevys:

1) Cost.....

2) cost

3) ick... to fussy to work on

4) we have all Chevy stuff

5) Dave can build a Chevy motor in his sleep

6) Did I mention cost?

7) Chevy..... 100% Chevy...ok..ok.. I know the rail is sporting my Pathy'sold front shocks.. but other than that...

8) umm....

Our next door neighbor is a Mopar man... he has the following:

Dodge Rancharger ('73)

The red Charger in the pic ('72)

The Cuda is a '70

the '69 he had he sold

primered (but otherwise perfect) '65 Cuda he gave to Daves bro for changing motors in the Ramcharger for him

'79 Dodge pick-up

'73 stepside Dodge pick-up

HAD 2 x '69 Roadrunners

umm... what else he got over there.... can't think right now

Sand Rail- Chevy V8 427 cu. in small block. This is a one of a kind

Note the key phrase... One of a kind. I doubt it races, just rumbles and digs holes...

B

I would agree with you there B... with the wrong tires on Daves rail... China here we come!! you have to remember... the whole weight of Daves rail is under 2,000lbs... add a Chevy SB 350 with 500HP to that... stick ehr in the sand.. just add paddle tires and a psycho behind the wheel.. and you have a multiple orgasm!

*can I say that here*?

Ok, maybe GG has a point... :shrug:

This is about those silly germans...

So, Slick, you ever seen a sand rail with a nice Porsche engine and/or tranny set up ? Yes, I have. Expensive to build but cheap to maintain, and it Hauled A$$ !! It was a wheelie machine and would jump INSANE distances 'cause it was so light. :bow:

B

is this a bait? or can I answer this one without getting accused of wrongful whoring?

Imma answer anyway. Yes... they used the single turbo 911 motors before. the hot new motors are the Norstar and LT1's..they put those in the $30,000+ rails/buggies

They are also starting to use "Jap" motors..such as Honda and there is a twin turbo (like the Z) motor from I can't-remember-who-right-now.. but they are starting to use them in the lightweight (2 seater) and VW rails

Edited by Slick

is this a bait? or can I answer this one without getting accused of wrongful whoring?

Imma answer anyway. Yes... they used the single turbo 911 motors before. the hot new motors are the Norstar and LT1's..they put those in the $30,000+ rails/buggies

They are also starting to use "Jap" motors..such as Honda and there is a twin turbo (like the Z) motor from I can't-remember-who-right-now.. but they are starting to use them in the lightweight (2 seater) and VW rails

you mean northstar????

i dont know what he considers light but i think yours is

Edited by FLApathy

No, it's not bait, when have I ever done something like that ?

Older Porsche air cooled motors (flat 4 or 6 preferably, turbo or not) are light, produce good HP for the weight, and will run at high RPM without problems, just what a sand rail needs. The motor in the back helps offset the length of the chassis, weight of the driver, and any other 'extras' for ballance under power. Just saying I've seen a few that were fairly somple, lighter than a water cooled V8, and were VERY fast. Thats all... :shrug:

B

Oh.. indeed... but on homebuilts like Daves... it is not a possibility to do a rear engined... now... on the VW's! HOLY COW would they HAUL ASS!

Dave got spanked a couple years ago by his brothers old orange VW.... where Dave had to slow down because of his suspension and low to the ground profile.. Alan beat him over the bumps n stuff.... if it was smooth...flat.....Daves rail would smoke it ....really baaaaaad...he'd have to wait til Alan caught up! lol.

We are trying to figure out some type of heavy duty front end to use to raise the front (besides larger tires) and soften the suspension.. he had to crank teh t-bars all teh way up just to egt the ol girl 6" off the ground! which makes for a very unhappy Slick bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy ow ow ow ow let me out let me out let me out call 911 call 911 call 911... (I broke my back while racing dirt track in 93)

Ok. I have decided tomorrow.. I am gunna start an "off road of the unruly kid".. andy suggestions as to what to call it so people don't post about trucks? then we can whore in our own little post about these grossly overpowered motors in underweight high tech vehicles..and drool over pics n stuff....

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I've read that... It seems the only corolation to his 'use of dead cats' it that the process is done by a catalytic process. I understand he is sueing the news paper that reported the story originally. Sorry, good try though. ;)

I bet a lot of people would love to have diesel for 30 cents a liter... :D

B