Those silly Germans !

Precise1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jealous Slick, while I like most old muscle cars, I have a soft spot for mopar... I'm suprised Dave doesn't use their engines in the sand rail, they have some of the best... Think about a 340 6pak in the rail !!! WHEEE !!

B

or think 427

Mountain

Of

Parts

Are

Required

mopar sucks now a days but back then when it was the big 3 up against each other was when muscle cars came about like the yenko sc, cobra, and super bee

or think 427

No... My answer to that would be the 429 HEMI... :D

They are running small blocks (dont need big block weight in that kind of frame) so I think you would recommend the 327 which is, as I understand, a better motor than the 350... ???

It's really amazing how much they changed the cars in the 50s and 60s. Nowadays the design of a vehicle doesnt change for 6-7, sometimes even 10 years.

That was back in the golden years of US economy V, they could afford to be frivilous and there was NO competition. Made for some cool cars, didn't it ?

B

or think 427

No... My answer to that would be the 429 HEMI... :D

They are running small blocks (dont need big block weight in that kind of frame) so I think you would recommend the 327 which is, as I understand, a better motor than the 350... ???

the power a 427 makes will more than make up for the weight

and ive always heard of the 350 being the best SB ever made

and i thought that mopars best was the 440

It's not just the weight of it, its where the weight is....on such a light frame, especially one that is going to be airborne, you want it to be as balanced as possible so that it lands softly and doesnt nose up or down in the jumps. Thats why sand rails use small blocks.

It's not just the weight of it, its where the weight is....on such a light frame, especially one that is going to be airborne, you want it to be as balanced as possible so that it lands softly and doesnt nose up or down in the jumps.  Thats why sand rails use small blocks.

yeah i figured, but look at what i found on the post whore thread

Sand Rail- Chevy V8 427 cu. in small block. This is a one of a kind

sorry to drag you in slick

Edited by FLApathy

Yes Vengeful, and thank you for the good answer.

These are welded tube frames that are integral roll cages, we are not talking I beam, 4" square tubing, or ladder frames here. A little weight messes up the ballance, and too much horsepower can torque the tube frame. Besides, how much HP can you use in sand ? Thats why I believe the best overall sand rail is a medium length with a pumped aircooled VW or Porsche motor in the rear... Light fast, moderately ballances, and revs like a demon...

Sand Rail- Chevy V8 427 cu. in small block. This is a one of a kind

Note the key phrase... One of a kind. I doubt it races, just rumbles and digs holes...

B

I don't know what defines best motor, HP or longevity, or cheap parts... 440 is very good, yes. 429 Hemi had the most HP 480 stock in some models I believe. 350 VS 327... I had been told the 327 has more power, and the vettes and comaros with it were the high performance models... Not certain, but thats what I remember...

B