Tire rack

Z_Pilot

I guess life is about compromises. I still have not found a nice 94-95 SE 5-speed, so I am considering an XE. It seems that many XE's do not have the external swing-away tire carrier. For some reason, that is a "must" on my list. Are there any after-market companies that make a similar swing-away tire carrier for the WD-21s? What is involved in mounting a junkyard stock carrier? Any other out-of the box ideas for tire carriers (on the roof, etc...)?

Thanks

Z

Mine has one...

Mounting one on a pathy that never had one is impossible or requires more fab than its worth from what I remember. Something about how ones that had them already on had some sort of heavy duty bracket welded on the frame or something. I dont know for shure.

I would put a tire on the roof on a mount or something.

A truck that did not come with one when new (like mine) does have the bottom internal mounting bracket but not the top internal bracket :sniff:

Because of the design you can't get the stock bracket into a truck not originally equipped... nor can you get it out of one that did have the carrier without cutting the body panel free. At least, not to my knowledge.

Someone, I think it's AC, sells a bracket kit for trucks that did not have one... you insert and mount the custom brackets and drill the holes through the body for the bolts and then bolt a carrier on.. Carrier does not come with the kit.

Yeps, my 95xe has the tire carrier, power mirrors, rear defroster/wiper which is not the 'normal' options for the xe I believe. It does NOT have trailer hitch, rear spoiler, roof rack, side bars, grill guard. These are generally easy bolt ons and can (maybe) found at junkyards, part outs, ebay and aftermarket. Good luck Bud. I swear there are a few here in Cali for sale you would like... :shrug:

B

I have been trying to SELL my tire carrier for 6 months! My '92 XE also came with the carrier.

B.. I have a roof rack.. but no heated mirrors.. :sniff: