Loud noise from cargo area

Guest cgreer00

Guest cgreer00

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this. I have a 2001 Pathfinder 4x4 with 65,000 miles on it. For the past few months, I have had a pretty loud noise coming from either side of the cargo area when i go over bumps. If I steer side to side quickly it doesn't make the noise, but if I go over direct bumps it does. If i hit a bump on the right side of the truck, then the noise comes from the right side. If I hit a bump on the left side of the truck, the noise comes from the left side. It sounds like plastic and metal hitting against each other. It is loud enough to hear over the stereo and it is driving me nuts! I thought it was coming from the plastic interior pieces, but I took them out and I still hear it. I have checked things like the jack, the spare tire, loose bolts, etc. I have taken it to 3 mechanics and they have no clue. I have been offering $50 cash to anyone who can just find where the noise is coming from. I am totally clueless. The kicker is that every once in a while, the noise totally goes away and the truck rides quietly. Then it comes back the next day and is loud as hell.

any ideas?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm...I get a noise similar to that when I go over bumps. Its my fat tailpipe thats hitting the hitch. There is like a few inches of side to side play on my tailpipe and I noticed that it hits the side of the hitch.

Do you have a trailer hitch?

I had a loud noise from mine but I eventually untied her and let her out.

seriously though, noises like that are hard to find when you are driving. I suggest that you get a bunch of buddies to jump on your bumper while you stick your head around and listen for the noise.

K9...that won't work.

I know exactly what the problem is.

The noise only occurs going over sharp bumps, correct? (Not like when going over slight irregularites in pavment (not potholes/cracks, but variations in the altitude) in the road) or when the suspension is oscillating smoothly as it would when people would bounce on it.)

The noise eminates from ONLY the side of the vehicle to hit the bump.

It sounds like it's coming from the cargo area, but in reality, it is coming from just aft of your wheelwells.

It is highly probable that the noise you're experiencing is due to worn out stabilizer/sway-bar links.

My truck made exactly the same noises you're describing. I took out the links...no more noise!

Stabilizer/sway-bar links are about $35-40 each, new from Nissan. :aok:

An easy way to check if it is your links, is to remove them and see if the noise goes away. If it doesn't, then it's your trailing arm/control arm bushings. :aok:

Edit to add: Mine started making the noise about the same mileage you have now.

Edited by vengeful

Guest cgreer00

thank you so much, i will check that out and get back to you to let you know if that solved it!

:clap: Vengeful !! I think we can all agree this site has saved us all plenty of $. If you dont count the cost of doing mods you would be otherwise unaware of that is... :D:shrug:

B

It is highly probable that the noise you're experiencing is due to worn out stabilizer/sway-bar links.

I'll second that diagnosis!

I FINALLY traced an annoying rattle to my sway bar links: Little "ball and socket" affairs that tie the sway bar to the frame.

Man, I tell ya: That rattle made me grind my teeth every time I hit a bump... I could have sworn it was a loose exhaust component that was banging on the foor pan.

Cheers!

Gary

:clap: Vengeful !! I think we can all agree this site has saved us all plenty of $. If you dont count the cost of doing mods you would be otherwise unaware of that is... :D:shrug:

B

Oh most definitely B!!

I've saved myself tons of money by not taking my truck to the shop to get it fixed. Now...that balances out with all the money I've spent on mods, however... :beer:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lagernuts

Are these hard to replace (stabalizer bushings). I just dropped $1100 on my pathy, and need to do it myself if possible. Thanks for any help. Dave

Stabilizer Bar bushings and the links are two different animals...however, they are both fairly easy to do.

The links are simply the vertical pieces that tie the bar into the "frame." The bushings are rubber bushings (duh), that surround the stabilizer bar (front) as it goes through the frame rails.

To replace the links, you simply have to unscrew the top and bottom of it, it'll fall out, and screw in the new ones.

To replace the bushings, there is a bracket at the front of your framerails where the stabilizer bar goes through. Unbolt it and let it hang from the hook through the framerail. Once you have both brackets unbolted, the stabilizer bar will come loose and you can peel off the bushing. Installation is simple because they are split and all you have to do is squeeze the bushing onto the bar in the same place the old one was. Then rebolt up the brackets and you're good to go.

Well, I'm a WD21 owner, so it may not be the same thing, but I'm here to confirm Vengeful's diagnosis. I had alot of noise, both front and rear, while going over bumps. I knew my front sway bar links were shot, and planned to remove it. I had attributed my rear noise to my exhaust banging as I've got a hanger that's shot. Turns out, my rear sway bar links were bad as well. I removed both sway bars, to test, and noticed no negative difference in ride/handling, and it's now quiet over bumps. It seems to me that if all your other bushings/ball joints/tie rods etc. are in good shape, the sway bars don't do much.

Anyways, give it a shot. Just remove it (took me 10 minutes each) and see if your noise is gone. Then you can decide whether to reinstall it and buy new links, or just leave it off.

Read above ^^^^^

Keep in mind though, I drive an early Pathy. Yours might react differently. Go slow at first if you do remove them, to see if there's any significant difference.