Need part #!

DJ Dank

Yo DJ,

that rack has crosser bars just like the "X" could this be?? In my area a boneyard has crossers that are about 90% sweet!!! My only concern is the length of those bars....holler back quik i am sure that they won't last up there!!!

Local Dealers parts department should be able to help you out.. I stopped at Puyallup Nissan some time ago and had them come up with a total cost for a complete X Roof Rack (everything) and to do that they had to look up each part or set of parts.

Yup, my plan was to put a modified X rack on my Path.. but the cost of new parts and the fact that I could not fid one in a wrecking yard prevented me from doing it :sniff:

I know the crossers for the Xterra rack are pretty pricey from the dealer... a few people up here have wanted addl crossers to do light bars, or to replace stolen bars.

Yeah, I know the X's crossbars are totally different...I've looked into it. :)

Yup, my plan was to put a modified X rack on my Path.. but the cost of new parts and the fact that I could not fid one in a wrecking yard prevented me from doing it sniff.gif

Well, the X roof rack mimics the roofline which on our Pathys is completely different. There's that angle/break...kinda like this ______/ know what i mean? The rear part bolts on higher up than the front half. Unless you were to hack it up but that would just compromise the integrity of it.

Thats why I switched my stock rack to the 02+ SE rack. Just like the look better but I have not been able to find crossbars. Haven't been looking THAT hard but I figured I'd give it a try. I remember running into a place online that sold them for $48. If I can only remember the place or part #... :shrug:

Speaking of roof racks, I saw a '97 pathy that had a nice factory rack that sat

in the grooves in the roof. My '96 has those same grooves, but no rack, so I am

curious - would the '97 factory fit the '96 grooves?

I had called the local Nissan dealer when I first got my '96, and they claim that

the '96's did not have factory roof racks, hence my el-cheapo rack that barely

holds my canoe...

Yup, my plan was to put a modified X rack on my Path.. but the cost of new parts and the fact that I could not fid one in a wrecking yard prevented me from doing it sniff.gif

Well, the X roof rack mimics the roofline which on our Pathys is completely different. There's that angle/break...kinda like this ______/ know what i mean? The rear part bolts on higher up than the front half. Unless you were to hack it up but that would just compromise the integrity of it.

Thats why I switched my stock rack to the 02+ SE rack. Just like the look better but I have not been able to find crossbars. Haven't been looking THAT hard but I figured I'd give it a try. I remember running into a place online that sold them for $48. If I can only remember the place or part #... :shrug:

how much work & $$ was it to switch up the roof rack?

A pathy owner on the Xterra board was asking about that type, I told him to join up here & ask... but I havent seen him here...

Hey DJ Dank,

Try these guys....they are where i got my (power, heated...and working!) leather seats from. linky linky

far as an "X" rack goes, I got one in a yard local, but the poor thing was rolled so the driver side is scratched and gouged..but i don think it was bent at all :shrug:

how much work & $$ was it to switch up the roof rack?

A pathy owner on the Xterra board was asking about that type, I told him to join up here & ask... but I havent seen him here...

It wasn't hard at all. I got lucky when I decided to do it, there were a couple of auctions on ebay for them. So I sniped it for $50 for everything minus the crossbars and the airdam.

Anyways, for those with regular racks, there are 4 endcaps, that you need to remove, and place the ends for the newer rack in place with some longer bolts. Not really hard at all but just one warning....

You still keep your original rails...you just place the gray ones over them...well make sure you don't remove any bolts in the original rails or else the washer/nut will fall down below between your roof and the inside liner of your car...

Here's my original post about it. If you're interested here's a couple of more links to threads about it.

Roof Rack swap

Roof rack tip

Hey DJ Dank,

Try these guys....they are where i got my (power, heated...and working!) leather seats from. linky linky

far as an "X" rack goes, I got one in a yard local, but the poor thing was rolled so the driver side is scratched and gouged..but i don think it was bent at all :shrug:

Yeah LKQ is cool...thats where I got the rack from and also my draw tite hitch for $50.

Yeah 98silverpath, I dont know if you get what I'm saying. An x rack isn't going to fit on the R50...see the roof line of the X...

xterra02-rack.jpg

Between the driver and rear seats, the roofline dips up and the mounting points of the rack totally reflect it...

Whereas the r50's...our roofs are a straight line and so are the racks...

354764_33.jpg

...alllthough... I have seen someone who took the Xterra rack and added it to the cap on the back of a fronty, so they would have had to trim the front bars so it would sit on a straight level surface...

Yeah...the only way would involve cutting, which I would stay away from...Plus the mounting places don't line up with the Pathy and you'd have to figure out a way to mount the middle bracket somewhere and work around the side rails...

Not worth all that...its funny because I got the rack from lkq for $50 and on ebay the last one sold for close to $200...

I just want to get the crossbars so I can mount my yakima ski rack on top.

I guess you cant mount aftermarket bars to that type of rack??

I have the thule set up, but was interested in that rack, simply for the airdam...

Well if you wanted to go that route, you'd couldn't use rail sliders since I have the gray tubes running right above the rails...only like 2 inches above...

I believe they make ones that clamp onto the gray tubes and the poles run through them but I don't want to go that route...I'd need to buy all that.

The airdamn is cool but it does eat up gas mileage.

Edited by DJ Dank

The rack does look good on your truck. Is there no way to modify the stock rack that came with your truck to make it work? Maybe even mount those cross bars in conjunction with the 02 rack? I went with the yakima rack stuff so I guess I can't offer too much, just kicking around ideas.

The rack does look good on your truck. Is there no way to modify the stock rack that came with your truck to make it work? Maybe even mount those cross bars in conjunction with the 02 rack? I went with the yakima rack stuff so I guess I can't offer too much, just kicking around ideas.

Yeah I tried that...the gap between the rail on the roof to the new 02 rail(with pathfinder written on it) is like seriously only like a couple of inches...I tried to put my OEM crossbars in that gap but it doesn't work. The crossbars have an "upward" curve to them . I've tried. :(:(:(

I mean if I was desperate then I remove those gray '02 rails which are connected to the black end mounts by an allen screw and leave the four mounts. And then put the OEM crossbars. If you can picture what I'm trying to say, then you'd agree...I'm not THAT desperate. :rolleyes:

The airdamn is cool but it does eat up gas mileage.

Well, yeah, but the rack on top of my truck is doing a fine job of that on it's own... I'm trying to find a way to lessen that.

meh. I have the yakima fairing.. didnt change my mileage at all. I dont think the kayak and bike mounts sticking above it help much either.

Thanks for clearing me up DJ, I was kinda just throwing the "X" out there in case anybody reading this wanted me to grab it for them!!! :aok:

...back to the lecture at hand the air dam milage drop i didn't understand...i would have guessed that the '02+ SE air dam may have helped direct air away from the truck, guess that causes turbulence though huh?

Thanks for clearing me up DJ, I was kinda just throwing the "X" out there in case anybody reading this wanted me to grab it for them!!! :aok:

...back to the lecture at hand the air dam milage drop i didn't understand...i would have guessed that the '02+ SE air dam may have helped direct air away from the truck, guess that causes turbulence though huh?

But uhh, back to the lecture at hand

Perfection is perfected, so I'ma let em understand

from a young G's perspective...

LOL, I'm only led to believe that the removal of the airdam increased gas mileage by like 1 mpg..maybe 2 but I've read from a couple of people on AC who've reported those numbers. Bah I don't feel like hunting them down...lol.

Right freaking on!!! I am gigling like a girl at 1220am (despite that mistaken clock that has to be even more west than Cali) because someone else knew what i was listening while i was typing the other day!!! Now if i just had a "64!! Thanks for the pick me up!!

I'm thinking of looking into the Thule airdam... finding the $$ is another story!!

As for factory airdam's... a lot of the Xterra guys remove theirs in the winter to help with milage... I can only assume it works.