Can you say FRAME ROT?

Z_Pilot

Crap! that thing is in good shape. Too bad its so far from me. Its even got an armrest... something i'm dying for. leather seats everything... Looks like i'll be needing an AT soon though, which this unfortunatly doesn't have. ohwell.

still its too bad that thing is so far away. its in great shape.

Crap! that thing is in good shape....

Great shape? Yeah right. The guy is right, it'd be best to have it towed directly to the shop...I don't even want to imagine driving it home and going over a speed bump too fast and have your pathy fold in half or buckle...

post-1-1122072441.jpg

Edited by DJ Dank

Crap! that thing is in good shape....

Great shape? Yeah right. The guy is right, it'd be best to have it towed directly to the shop...I don't even want to imagine driving it home and going over a speed bump too fast and have your pathy fold in half or buckle...

i meant the rest of it... for parts.... why would you think that i would assume that is a driveable... let alone safe... vehicle, in a thread called "FRAME ROT"

Its the rest of the body that is in great shape, and for anyone that has a frame to spare, or needs an abundance of parts for their project pathy, thats a great value.

why would you think that i would assume that is a driveable... let alone safe... vehicle, in a thread called "FRAME ROT"

I didn't realize you were the original poster. But nowadays, I can't assume anything from anyone anymore...

Slick, you said that was the worst frame rot you have seen. Well you need to come to NE Ohio. That Pathy would be running down the Interstate untill it broke in half sometime. There is no inspection in Ohio and I have seen much worst than that on the road.

post-1-1122295920.jpg

You got to be F-ing with me lgranch !! That was/is on the road ?? I can understand being broke and driving POS cars or being mechanically clueless, but thats just plain insane !!. It couldn't possible drive even remotely 'normal' !! You'd have to pay me a lot of $ to drive that over 40... :wacko:

B

While I have dozens of rusted pathy pics here is the last that I will post. Do you see the problem here? Again this is on the road in Ohio. People say this can be repaired. I am not positive that a repair will hold well with this one.

post-1-1122382146.jpg

I'm concerned about my frame on my 95, as I've heard about the steel problems, and I live in Canada, with the snow and salt. I've checked the frame, and so far everything still seems solid. I basically tapped around with a hammer to see if everything sounded solid, no soft spots. I have some surface rust, which is to be expected.

My question is, I'm thinking of POR15-ing the entire frame, and floor of my truck. I will prep it properly, then coat everything. Will this help stop the frame from rotting, or will it just rot from the inside where I can't reach?

Any ideas?

POR 15 will definitley stop any existing rust from occuring, I did some on the front half ofthe frame on my 1970 Chevelle and it worked and looked great. I used to get most of my body work stuff from Eastwood....free catalog and decent prices

EASTWOOD

Man, you guys are so lucky over there. All of those rusted Pathies. No wonder your spare parts are cheap and plentyful. Nothing rusts very well over here. Suffice to say, spare parts are expensive and hard to come by.

That's one way of looking at it!!! :wacko:

I was thinking more along the lines of the rust killing my truck before the engine gives up. That's a bad thing in my books.

Man, you guys are so lucky over there. All of those rusted Pathies. No wonder your spare parts are cheap and plentyful. Nothing rusts very well over here. Suffice to say, spare parts are expensive and hard to come by.

That's one way of looking at it!!! :wacko:

I was thinking more along the lines of the rust killing my truck before the engine gives up. That's a bad thing in my books.

Plenty of fish oil should keep the rust at bay.

Plenty of fish oil should keep the rust at bay.

Fish oil you say? I was thinking of putting some oil (motor oil?) into my sprayer and just spraying it into the inside of the frame rails to keep the rust from eating it's way through from the inside? Any thoughts?