Preventive Maintenance Question

I just acquired a 98 Pathy w/93k miles. I plan to replace the original timing belt ASAP, but am wondering if its necessary to replace the water pump and tensioner, since it involves about the same labor? How long does the water pump and tensioner tend to last? Anyway to tell its condition and whether it'll last for quite a bit longer? Thanks in advance!

Guest blitZ

I think it's most cost effective to replace belts, water pump, tensioner and front engine seals while you (or your paid labor) is going to the effort of removing these parts to replace the timing belt.

Be a shame to have a seal start leaking a month after the timing belt job.

the water pump "should" be replaced when at the 100k mark.. and the tensioner it "should" be replaced as well, but it is a bearing and i do know some guys that have reworked grease in to the tensioner bearing(sealed bearing??) and it seemed to work.. personally i replaced it and would recomend you do the same... either its your time or money in labour, and i would say its not worth skimmping out on those parts either way.

After owning my 98 pathy for 9 mos now i am finally catching up on maint...i have yet to do the belt/pump/tensioner...

aside of oil changes i have however done:

fuel filter

2 of 4 O2 sensors

coolant temp sensor

plugs (bosch +2)

wires

cap

rotor

cleaned the TB

scraped the EGR port clean

tranny fluid

diff's fluid including LSD oil

for good measure:

many containers of Lucas injector cleaner

tranny cooler

i find when getting a used car that how fast it durties oil is always a good sign of wear..after the few intial changes that you do as soon as you notice burnt smelling oil (or it gets really dirty)

other than that plugs and wires, oil leaks, amount of filth tucked in engine bay...you can always look to see what general maint items look to have been replaced...a newr looking fuel filter is a sweet sweet sign!!! This means even if someone couldn't do it they had a shop do it!! :aok:

incidentally no real word yet on if the coolant temp sensor changed MPG, but idle and CEL have not fallen back to old ways yet

Hey, I also bought my 1999.5 Pathy in May 2005 with 93k miles. I had no clue of if the timing belt was changed, and the engine being an interference design, the belt needed to be replaced. I paid the dealer to do it, and decided to change the a/c belt, water pump, and tensioner at the same time. Wise move to do it all. Good luck! FYI, I paid about $600 parts and labor.

I am just wondering when you need to get the timing belt as well as some of the others listed in this post. I am at 106,000 k and would like to get a time frame set so I can start saving. How hard is it to do all this your self? I already replaced the 3 front belts my self.

I would say based on the age of the belt you might want to get it done soon. If you try it make sure you get the Nissan FSM steps and order all the parts up front. I waited on some coolant hoses and had to drive all over town to find them. I'd give yourself 2 full days if you haven't done it before. Here's a few pics of the change on my 97:

http://groups.msn.com/LewisPictures/97path...beltchange.msnw

Timing belt is due at 105,000 miles (or 160,000 KM).

Even though some people have gotten away with it for much longer, I shouldn't have to suggest that you DO NOT put it off. The VG/VQ engines are an interference engine, and if that timing belt lets go, your entire head/valvetrain are going to be torn to shreds.

PathfinderPhil recently had the t-belt go on his CamoPath, and the entire top end of the engine was FUBAR.

Do it ASAP.

If you were to have the dealer to the recommended work, it would probably run you about $1200-1400, but you can have it done for about half that at a reputable shop.

When you do the timing belt, you should also replace:

Water Pump

Cam Seals

Gaskets

All Fluids

And, if you're planning on getting cam gears or replacing the cams, this would be a good time to do it, so you'll only have to fiddle with the timing once.

HTS. :aok:

By the by, I'm currently at ~95,000 and I'm already gathering the required bits and pieces to get the timing belt done before I return to school this Fall.

And don't forget that little bypass coolant hose that sits behind the upper timing belt cover, you'll see it was leaking bad in my pictures and it would be a pain to change after you were done.

This parts list might help, from my 97 change:

21501-0W501 Radiator Hose Upper

21503-0W001 Radiator Hose Lower

14055-0W000 Coolant Bypass Hose

14055-0W??? Small Hose to Thermostat

21200-V7206 Thermostat

13028-0B785 Timing Belt

13070-42L00 Timing Belt Tensioner

21010-0W028 Water Pump

13042-0B001 Camshaft Seals

02117-88023 Drive Belts

11720-0W002