n00b from Seattle, WA- whittecar95

Greetings,

My name is Jason Whittecar (pronounced like whittaker). It all started with a 1988 Nissan Hardbody. It took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. But, I needed A/C, so I moved to a 1988 Pathfinder SE-V6 and took it from 111,000 to 211,000 miles and from Iowa to Florida to Washington. It also took a beating and kept on going. After "the incident"*, it was deemed "unsafe" by The Better 3/4 and was quickly sold. The latest member of the family is a 1995 Pathfinder SE-V6, cobalt emerald green, heated leather, 5-speed, K&N filter, Optima battery. In the last 4 years, I've added a 135 amp Wrangler Northwest Power Products alternator; remote oil filter kit; Doug Thorley headers w/ stainless exhaust; Powerslot slotted brake rotors and a full size spare w/ alloy rim... for now. In debate is "What's next?"

Thanks!

Jason Whittecar

*The Incident: Being from Iowa, the 88 was fighting a losing battle with the rust bunnies. Also from Iowa, I had some big rubber floormats in it to hold all the snow/water/mud. Therefore I did not notice that there was a hole in the floor, under the gas pedal, right above the exhaust pipe... on which the carpet was sitting. Needless to say, acrid white smoke filled the cab on the way to work one morning. Having found the source and living in Seattle, I doused the smoldering carpet with a latte, thus sparing my 2 fire extinguishers for another day. Some aluminum shingles and some screws made a nice, new floor, but The Better 3/4 spoke... and Ol' Red was sold. I like to think it was part of the Master Plan anyway. I'm making my dreams come true with the 95.

Welcome! Sounds like you're doing the Pathy up right with the equipment you listed.

BTW, what do you think about the slotted rotrs? Did you notice an increase in stopping power? Or less brake fade? Or any benefit at all?

I just moved to the sunshine state and I'm considering a boat (which will be dragging behind the Pathy, hence the stopping power inquiries).

what do you think about the slotted rotrs?

I didn't really notice any significant increase in stopping power, mainly because I took it easy on them for about a week. However, since I don't own a sports car (i.e. 350Z), I treat my Pathy like one and I'm hard on it on the street. It hasn't let me down yet.

In speaking with the neighborhood Nissan mechanics, they've never seen nor heard of any brake fade on the Nissan factory rotors and state that they're pretty awesome in their stock form.

I say "Can't hurt to upgrade!"... and if you can pass it by She Who Watches the Wallet... all the better! Like most wives, mine doesn't know much about cars, so... when a slight squeak is heard... "Oh my gosh honey, you hear that? That's the brakes! They're ready to go! I need to fix them!" What she doesn't know is that pads would have sufficed. Heh heh... but I got rotors, SS lines AND pads. Saweet.

Same with the headers. "Hear that tick?... blah blah" Boom... new headers and exhaust. :)

I hope she doesn't read this!

Vengeful: Try a nigori sake (pronounced NEE-GO-REE - not a brand name). It's the hefewiezen of sake. Unfiltered. Buy it in the refridgerated section, since it's an unpasteurized drink. Cold should equal "fresh". Shake/Mix it up.... enjoy.