Relocating Ecu?

Guest Dingo3243

Guest Dingo3243

Hey guys, just bought a 95 Pathfinder that was a bank repo. I have a body lift, suspension lift, and tires on the way(with beefier steering components to come as well).

My only concern is the ECU. It's location under the passenger side seat seems like it would be awefully succeptable to water when your going through those ponds and such.

I was wondering if any of you had relocated it to higher ground...glovebox perhaps? I haven't gotten in there to see where the harness runs and if it is do-able yet so I figured I'd check here first.

Thanks for any help!

I think someone said they moved it behind the glove box. If most of the wires run from the engine bay, it shouldn't be too hard to relocate it there. I considered looking in to it as soon as the other 150+ projects are complete. :P

Yeah, if you don't use your glove box the ECU fits right in there. You have to extend the ECU's ground wire or relocate it, then cut a hole into the side of the glove box to get the wiring through. That's about it. Oh, you have to take up the carpet to get the wiring out, too. :P

Guest Dingo3243

Awesome thanks guys. The carpet is coming out anyway so I can rustproof the floors and then I'm going to try to custom make a rubber floor(like you can get for jeeps).

Off-hand, anyone know if someone makes those to go right in? I'd pay the $$ to have it precut/fit rather than cutting my own...

If it's an auto there is a green wire with a yellow stripe that will need to be cut and spliced, it runs to the tranny ecu from the main ecu. All the other wires run from the front.

I did the tupperware trick with mine, water tight :aok:

If it's an auto there is a green wire with a yellow stripe that will need to be cut and spliced, it runs to the tranny ecu from the main ecu. All the other wires run from the front.

I did the tupperware trick with mine, water tight :aok:

and that doesn't get too hot?

I've had a look under both the passenger and driver's seats in my '95 TD27 Pathy and can't find anything that looks like an ECU. Are they mounted elsewhere on this model? Up under the dash on the side of the heater unit is a "black box" about 4" square by about 1/2 " thick with two connectors on it. Could that be it?

I've had a look under both the passenger and driver's seats in my '95 TD27 Pathy and can't find anything that looks like an ECU. Are they mounted elsewhere on this model? Up under the dash on the side of the heater unit is a "black box" about 4" square by about 1/2 " thick with two connectors on it. Could that be it?

It might be, but from what I remmember the TDs don't have an ECU. We don't have em in the states so I have no experiance with them, just remembering a post by a Swed on another board about them.

I've had a look under both the passenger and driver's seats in my '95  TD27 Pathy and can't find anything that looks like an ECU. Are they mounted elsewhere on this model? Up under the dash on the side of the heater unit is a "black box" about 4" square by about 1/2 " thick with two connectors on it. Could that be it?

It might be, but from what I remmember the TDs don't have an ECU. We don't have em in the states so I have no experiance with them, just remembering a post by a Swed on another board about them.

i don't see a diesel havin one but i guess you never know...

Get some Bass Shakers instead. They're SUPPOSED to be bolted to the floor under your seats. Look it up. I knew a guy that had 'em and they vibrated the crap out of his Dodge. ;)

If I had those instead of my 2x12's already in the back...baaaaaaad baaaaaaaaad things would happen with my seat vibrating any more while driving.. :rolleyes:

Get some Bass Shakers instead. They're SUPPOSED to be bolted to the floor under your seats. Look it up. I knew a guy that had 'em and they vibrated the crap out of his Dodge.  ;)

If I had those instead of my 2x12's already in the back...baaaaaaad baaaaaaaaad things would happen with my seat vibrating any more while driving.. :rolleyes:

Slick, you know you want to. It'll sure beat ridding the washing machine :lol:

I met a guy who wouldn't let women ride on his Harley because one of them ruined the seat. I suppose if I could duplicate the "potato potato potato" rumble of a shovelhead I'd be a very popular fella with the ladies. :aok:

:laugh: You guys are priceless...I have a friend that had a '94 S-10 Blazer with 3" body and 3" suspension with 32" BFGs and had in it to compensate for its height 12 (yep twelve) 12" subwoofers built where the back seat used to be. total of 7 batteries and 6600 watts constant...i saw a handful of girls getting too excited about stereos in those days too!!! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...