Drilling Out Bolts

94 Pathy

:help:

Ok all you machining freaks! I'm drilling out some holes/broken bolts for the front skid plate. I used a 5/16" drill bit and now I'm trying to figure out what size of :confused: Tapper bit :shrug: to use for the threads. Do I go that route or do I screw the threads in with Heli-Coil Inserts? I would think that making the threads permenant would be best. According to the Heli-Coil Insert kit I have, it calls for a drill size "U" (.368). I'm guessing by the size of things that my 5/16" drill is too small, so what size of drill bit is "U"?

Thanks for all your help!

:beer:

Ok before you tap it. Try an easy out this will take care of most sheared off bolts. This way you can just ream the hole with the existing threads.

So punch it (make it a good one)

Next take a small drill bit drill in it aways.

Now take your easyout and it will come right out.

This is the easyway to take these bolts out.

:beer:

Hey 94 Pathy, I'm a machinist by trade so I can help... First off, have you already drilled out the holes/ broken bolts ? Second, 5/16 is the nominal core hole size for a 3/8-16 tap so you can just tap the (existing :shrug: ) holes in that size. What ever you tap with, make sure to champher the hole larger than the tap size, it will help things greatly. Third, heli-coils are great, but maybe unnecessary, are the holes clean metal and how thick is the wall ? Fourth, U drill is the size; american measurement drills come in letter, number and fractional sizes ie, U, #7, and 5/16. It totally sucks and is left over from several industries refusing to standardize. Regardless, any hardware store worth a crap will have a U drill waiting for you. Let me know whats up, I'll pay attention and get you on the right path...

Bernard

:clap:

Thanks everyone! Precise1, Where I'm drilling is where the front of the factory skid plate is bolted, just under the radiator. The middle one is drilled out and the left and right bolts are busted, so I will be drilling those out. I've never threaded a hole before. Is it time consumming? I'm threading these by hand, or should I put the bit in a drill and go slow? I also need to do all this to the bolts that busted when I was taking my hitch off the rear to repaint. The hitch is crap, since the previous owner welded the tongue in and everything is rusted to be hell. Wanting to get a fabbed rockkrawler bumper with hitch built in. Thanks for all your help! :beer::aok:

:confused:

Champher is threading, or is that like just the beginning ofthe hole is counter- sunk? I find all this very interesting, but no knowledge or education on this. I'm thinking about going back to school for this.... -bounce-

Sorry to put you to :bed: for all this mumbo jumbo!

I've never threaded a hole before. Is it time consumming? I'm threading these by hand, or should I put the bit in a drill and go slow?

Get a T handle for the tap and do it by hand. If you drilled the right size hole it will cut the threads easily. If you want to make it go a little smoother and make the tap last use a little oil on it. Also be sure to run it in far enough that you get past the starter cutters on the tap.

When tapping out the hole, don't just run the tap in as if you're putting a bolt in. Tap a little then pull the tap out to remove the metal shavings and tap some more. Continue doing this until you can run the tap in all the way. It's not too hard, just take your time. :aok:

Ditto to what JJ said... Definitely use oil on the tap and try to make sure you are straight to the hole; the tap will try to lean sideways when you first start. Pushing the tap in while turning helps this. Dont use enough force to flex things or you will be drilling again... :o It's really quite simple. GL

B

When tapping out the hole, don't just run the tap in as if you're putting a bolt in. Tap a little then pull the tap out to remove the metal shavings and tap some more. Continue doing this until you can run the tap in all the way. It's not too hard, just take your time. :aok:

Yep, I generally go 1/2 turn in then back 1/4 turn, repeating till there's no resistance, then run it in about 6 turns to make sure the threads are clean.

-bounce- -bounce-

LIKE A GLOVE!

The front holes are done for the skidplate. Time to move on to the back :sniff: where the hitch bolts are. Thanks you guys for your help! :aok::beer: