Oil Light blinks

Guest Fuchfaccio

Guest Fuchfaccio

Hey, everyone, Just picked up myself a '93 SE, it is awesome and fully loaded including leather. I had to fainnally retire my '88. The '93's oil light, however, blinks when the engine is under load only when it's cold. When the engine warms up it will not do it. The oil is topped up. Is this the Sending unit? or just a sensor malfunction? Thanks, Mike

Has the oil and filter recently been changed?

Last time I changed my oil I used a Fram filter and the oil light blinked for a couple of days, after a week or so it stopped blinking. The peeps at the stealership said it was because of the filter and that I should use Nissan filters. Haha pretty sure thats just the parts guy hoping to sell some filters, however when you buy a Nissan filter you get one of those brass or copper (can't tell which) doohikies for the drain plug.

It would be nice to have an oil pressure gauge so I could have seen why the light was blinking. (Really sometimes it seems like the people in charge of the gauges just throw darts at a board to decide what you get. :crazy: )

As 88 Said, check the wiring to the sender. I had the wires fall out of mine when I did an oil change once, (the PO had popped it loose before, and put it together terribly)and after a while of them sitting on the frame, they had rubbed a spot clean enough to make a connection, and turn my light on. I just pulled the plug from the sender, rewired it, and plugged it back in.

If it's okay, I'd get that looked at ASAP, as you could be losing oil pressure intermittently.

Has the oil and filter recently been changed?

Last time I changed my oil I used a Fram filter and the oil light blinked for a couple of days, after a week or so it stopped blinking. The peeps at the stealership said it was because of the filter and that I should use Nissan filters. Haha pretty sure thats just the parts guy hoping to sell some filters, however when you buy a Nissan filter you get one of those brass or copper (can't tell which) doohikies for the drain plug.

It would be nice to have an oil pressure gauge so I could have seen why the light was blinking. (Really sometimes it seems like the people in charge of the gauges just throw darts at a board to decide what you get. :crazy: )

I can't say anything about only using Nissan filters, but I thought the common consensus on here was that FRAM filters are crap.

I rolled up an old t-shirt, shoved 2 tubes in it, painted it orange and wrote FRAM on it in crayon. It was the birth of the first High Performance Fram Oil Filter and boasts a 60% improvement over a regular Fram filter

Speak of the devil and he shall come!

Today my stupid friggin oil light started blinking again, except now it stays pretty much solid when the truck is parked or stopped (I say pretty much because it flickers a little when stopped). :furious: :nono: BAD OIL LIGHT! NO! BAAAD! :nono:

Ugh it's time for an oil change anyways and I have a couple of Nissan filters, so I'll see if it's just the filter. However I am leaning toward the bad connection idea as it started doing this as I was driving around "off road" on our property (it's a very rough tractor trail so it's off road in the sense that's its not paved or leveled and covered in weeds).

• 2 weeks later...

Where exactly is the oil pressure sensor wiring? I'v looked but can't see much from above or from below. This flickering is annoying me keeps on distracting me from the road (now it only flickers when the road is rough, if it's smooth the light is almost constantly on).

Also how hard would it be to install an oil pressure gauge? I know there was a post about this a little while ago but i can't seem to find it.