2004 Pathfinder Key Fob won't recognize during programming

hi,

today my key fob stopped working on my 2004 pathfinder. i went and bought an appropriate battery for it believing this to be the problem. i installed it correctly.

i attempted to work through the suggested fob programming  where you get in car, lock door, enter key 6-10 times until hazards flash on console, turn key to 'acc' setting and then press any button on the fob... i do this but the hazard will not recognize any button being pressed on the fob, at all. so the process cannot be completed and i'm still left with a fob that can't lock/unlock the doors.

does anyone have any insight as to why this would occur? are there any suggestive fixes that i might be able to do?

thanks!

Posted (edited)

Procedure seems right from what I see in the service manual.

Got a 2nd fob?

Battery installed in the correct direction?

Are the metal tabs for the "+" side still intact and do they contact the circuit board?

Any visible damage on the circuit board?

Edited by hawairish

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, pathypathfinder2004 said:

thanks for the reply.

i took the fob (my last) to a locksmith who determined it was on the fritz - sending signals regardless of being pressed.

so, it's new fob time for me.

I recommend looking for replacement unit on Amazon, just make sure to match the replacement fob with the same Part Number that's printed on the back of your current fob. That's what I did and I was able to locate two of them for $11.75 on Amazon lol!!

Chris.

Edited by CamperDan

I could not get the amazon aftermarket fobs to work for the life of me (I have a 98 SE), and ended up getting a used OEM fob from ebay.  it worked the very first time I programmed it.  Amazon may be worth a try if its a bunch cheaper since they have 30 day returns.

Here's a link to the ebay company that I got the good fob from: https://www.ebay.com/str/pnwkeys

They may or may not have one for your model since they deal in used OEM fobs, but I can vouch that the one they sent me works.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, commodorehat said:

I could not get the amazon aftermarket fobs to work for the life of me (I have a 98 SE), and ended up getting a used OEM fob from ebay.  it worked the very first time I programmed it.  Amazon may be worth a try if its a bunch cheaper since they have 30 day returns.

Here's a link to the ebay company that I got the good fob from: https://www.ebay.com/str/pnwkeys

They may or may not have one for your model since they deal in used OEM fobs, but I can vouch that the one they sent me works.

Sounds like you got lucky, I tried getting a replacement from eBay a few times in the past and no dice. I even got a known working one from @Dbot and it too did not jive with my R50. That's why I mentioned matching up the Part numbers on the back-side of the fob, but strangely that's what I did the first few time I got one. I eventually found two fobs that worked with my R50 from the junkyard, I then took that part number and ordered two of them from Amazon for $11.25 although on Amazon it said that it did not fit my R50 even though the part numbers were the same, however they did indeed work with my R50 lol!

Chris.

Edited by CamperDan
  • Like 1