Unidentified Threaded Hole in LH VG30e Head

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Currently rebuilding the vg30 out of the 93 pathy I bought last May. While reassembling everything I noticed a threaded hole in the front of my left-side head with nothing in it (see photo) that I somehow didn't notice until now. Looking back at some photos from the teardown, it looks to me like there wasn't anything there in the first place, but I want to make sure. It's possible the machine shop removed something for cleaning and it didn't get reinstalled. Any ideas if anything's supposed to go here? After searching some parts diagrams the closest things in that area seem to be threaded plugs or a coolant temp sensor, neither of which seem right. Let me know if more info or better photos needed.

The hole in question is in the center of the photo, above the water pump.

IMG_3617 Medium.jpeg

Edited by rhino93

Posted (edited)

May have answered my own question. Seems likely it is the temp sensor, I just figured it was elsewhere since I don't remember removing anything from there. I already have a new sensor, so I'll see if it fits and matches up to the harness. Temp gauge wasn't working when I bought the car, so is it possible it was missing to begin with? I find it strange I didn't notice anything missing when removing the harness. Still thrown by the whole thing, so would love confirmation from someone more knowledgeable.

Edited by rhino93

There is no temp sensor that goes there. That might just be a blank hole. For the 93 Pathfinder The temp sensors sit on the coolant outlet tube that goes straight to the upper radiator hose.

:welcome:

That hole is where the cylinder head temp sensor would go if your truck had the 1987-89 throttle body injection. Your '93 is multi-port injected, so the temp sensor is in the neck that goes in the upper rad hose instead.

I went and looked at my '93 to confirm. Same hole, no plug, no sensor. Yours is much cleaner, though!

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

:welcome:

That hole is where the cylinder head temp sensor would go if your truck had the 1987-89 throttle body injection. Your '93 is multi-port injected, so the temp sensor is in the neck that goes in the upper rad hose instead.

I went and looked at my '93 to confirm. Same hole, no plug, no sensor. Yours is much cleaner, though!

Thanks a ton! Exactly the info I was looking for.

Thanks Frenchy as well.