Installing Pedal Bumpers?

Me again...

Any sure-fire (easy!) methods for installing the clutch/brake bumpers? Heat 'em in warm water?

53605235772_2c5dc73535_b.jpg

What I've tried so far:

- greasing it, and pushing it on (nope!)

- protecting jaws of slip-joint pliers (tape and cardboard, nope!)

Next steps:

- get a smaller (2") ratcheting C-clamp...i need to go to HF anyway, right???

Edited by peejay
(added what i've tried so far)

Posted (edited)

wait a minute...

could it be that the diagram is wrong (or i interpreted the part numbers/dotted lines wrong???)

according to the diagram, the GREEN bumper is for the clutch pedal start switch...and the BLUE bumper cancels the cruise control...but based on the size of the "nib" in each bumper, and the sizes of the holes in the pedal mounts, that should be reversed...GREEN is for cruise control and BLUE is for clutch/start circuit?

53606391343_0f818e5909_b.jpg

(*** Edit ***)

I'm gonna try a hex bit socket pressed firmly against the middle of the button(s)...

Edited by peejay
update what to try next

These are used to install. I have installed plenty. Simply push the pedal down for the one you're trying to install. Well holding the pedal down put your little green gumdrop in place and hold it there. Well holding that start to release the pedal until it touches the gum drop. Now you can release the gum drop itself and you can somewhat force that in with the pedal. That is the easiest method I have found

Thanks, Frenchy, that worked! I'll admit, I was nervous about using the switches to force the gum drops into the holes, but nothing else was working! I'm more nervous about working on most things on this truck now than I was 10 years ago when parts were more readily available!

Oh, what does the "green gum drop" do, since I don't seem to have a switch that it matches up to...is it some cool feature that I don't have???

53608874305_494af02200_k.jpg

All those things do is to press any switches that may be in said place. If you have an automatic chances are it will be for your break and cruise control for the brake pedal. If you have a manual transmission you will obviously have one for the brake pedal for brake lights and the cruise control. You're also going to have one on the clutch pedal for the start switch and cruise control interrupt. If those are not there and the switches are just sticking out cruise control will not be able to activate and/or the brake lights will stay on.

Looks like either yours doesn't have cruise control, or someone's deleted the clutch safety switch. IIRC the manual trucks have cruise control cancel and starter interlock on the clutch pedal, brake lights on the brake pedal. Auto has cruise cancel and brake lights on the brake, starter interlock through the position switch on the transmission.

I replaced the bungs for my cruise cancel/brake lights a while ago when the one for the cruise fell out. The replacements I got were not a super tight fit, and I don't remember having to fight them much to get them in. If they had, I'll be a C clamp and a small socket would've done the trick.

I thought:

right-angle blue bung (leftmost, companion switch mounts under dash) was for CC cancel

green bung - (middle) ??

Big blue bung (rightmost, companion switch mounts on support bracket on floorboard) was for starting circuit

I'll look at the FSM harness layout section again, see if it gives any clues

Funny enough even if you bypass the cruise cancel switch (I did it when testing a bad switch) the brake light switch still cancels the cruise. It's a failsafe.