Steering Coupler

Frenchy

So I have a suspicion that my Steering Coupler/Rag Joint is a bit worn out. That said I am curious if anyone might know if there is a Polyurethane replacement available? As much as a solid metal one sounds, I feel the factory rubber or Polyurethane would be way more forgiving.

What I have found is a replacement rubber one for the D21 and WD21, and I have found a polyurethane for the 240SX and the Old Datsun Z.

Any help on this would be great

I can't find Nissan's part number for an OE one. The diagram only shows it as part of the column assembly. The only options I'm seeing are the aluminum one, some sketchy cheap crap on Alibaba, and the Lares 210. This listing for the Lares shows it cross-refs to four-banger HBs and first-gen X/Fronty, but given none of those have a thriving track day bro market either, I'm guessing you're SOL on finding a poly version.

I'm not sure a poly rag joint would feel any different. The stock rubber joint in mine is plenty stiff. There's more play in the steering than I'd like, but that's not where it is.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the original coupler is plenty soft being 31 years old. Of course Nissan doesn't show a replacement part by itself and I have seen the Lares coupler. I did a simple look on the Lares and it seems to be a decent one for what it's worth. Compared to others I can't speak much. As for a Polyurethane Coupler I can promise can feel much better especially when it's the correct composition. That is the key thing with Polyurethane.

Grab the shaft below the coupler with vise grips, have someone work the wheel back and forth (with about the same torque they would if they were driving), and see if the coupler flexes. That'll tell you right quick if the coupler is bad.

I wouldn't go poly, it transfers so much vibration to the cab which is annoying in a truck that isn't a performance car. But it's your ride.

I got the rag joint assembly for my Xterra from some wrecking yard in California, they shipped it up to me. Nissan only wreckers is what was called IIRC.

A steering coupler alone being polyurethane would not transfer that much vibration to the cab. You're probably thinking of the engine mounts. I've seen those cause a lot of vibration on an old S10 I used to have. That was something else

I checked on my rag joint today. It still feels solid, but the cracks tell me it won't be for long. The one in my parts truck looks just as bad. Now that I need one, I figured I'd take a few measurements and see what else I could track down.

The bolt circle is 60mm. The mounting holes are about 10mm with metal inserts. Roughly 12mm thick at the bosses.

Most of the listings I found for rag joints did not spec any useful dimensions. The only one I've found a bolt circle measurement for is the Borgeson 000941, which, conveniently, has a 2 3/8" bolt circle--which is basically 60mm. That said, it's not poly, and it's listed for a bunch of GM pickups, so I don't think it's going to lead you to a poly version, either.

If you do manage to track one down, I'll be curious to hear if it makes any noticeable difference to steering feel or NVH. I'm just gonna order the Lares, though.

Yeah I still got nothing on the Polyurethane replacement at this time. At the moment I have a Lares on the way and RoclAuto was the best price including shipping. As for the current feel in steering you can tell there is an initial lag going left or right. Mind you I have good steering linkage, already took care of the strut rod bushings and cups(that was a huge difference alone) and I'm still on 31's at about factory height or just above. As much as I won't argue that the control arm bushings to to be considered, I'm suspecting the rag joint now. And don't worry I have already made the adjustment on the steering box

I tried adjusting mine once and screwed it up so badly that I had to buy a reman box to replace it, so good on you for getting it right. That said, there's only so much you can adjust out of them. The adjuster on top sets the gear lash, but it can't help with slop in the ball screw. I would lay money that most if not all of your remaining steering play is in the gearbox.

That's where mine is, anyway. That reman POS is sloppier than the box I started with, before I messed it up. I'm planning to swap over the steering box from my parts car when I do the rag. I don't know how much better it is, but at least it doesn't leak.

If I replace the box it will definitely be a particular band. That brand I speak of is Maval Gear. I ended up getting a steering rack from them for my old 83 280ZX I had. Yes it was reman but it was AWESOME 

I can't speak for Read Head and I only heard about them within the last year. Marvel I found out about years ago after dealing with a very poorly made A1 Cardone Garbage Rack on the 280ZX. It literally was a night and day difference 

I bought a red head for my 1994 years ago and pulled it out of the truck when I got rid of it. It now lives on in my current 1995... Solid rebuild quality, and good service.

On 2/20/2024 at 11:53 AM, adamzan said:

I wouldn't go poly, it transfers so much vibration to the cab which is annoying in a truck that isn't a performance car. But it's your ride.

I got the rag joint assembly for my Xterra from some wrecking yard in California, they shipped it up to me. Nissan only wreckers is what was called IIRC.

I feel so stupid for not having thought of this. I've been using Xterras and Frontiers for miscellaneous chassis and suspension parts and never once did this occur to me. 

Well the Lares coupler just ce in today and it will be going on today or tomorrow depending on my motivation. That said taking a closer look at the current one, it is split pretty bad and I'm sure that is where a bit of my problem is right now

• 1 month later...

@Frenchy, did the Lares 210 fit yours? I just tried to install mine, and it's all wrong. 65mm bolt spacing instead of 60, and the splined hole is too small (15mm vs just over 17). Luckily I tested it on the shaft from the parts car before taking Rat Trap off the road.

Just ordered the Borgeson donut. Should be here for April Fools.

Unfortunately I never got around to it..... On top of that mine got totaled on the 16th this month all because a Mini Van thought they could make a turn....

Not exactly. I went ahead and went to a different platform and got myself into a D40 Frontier. That's a 2012 Pro 4X that's fully loaded and a lot more stuff available for it. 93 Pathfinder.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's too late for Frenchy's truck, but I figured I'd update this in case anyone else is looking to replace their rag joint/coupler. I've got the Borgeson 000941 mounted to the coupler from my parts car, and it looks like it'll work with minimal bodging.

It doesn't come with the bolt hole inserts that are in the stock donut. Those inserts will fit, but the Borgeson is a little thinner than the stock donut, so they're a little too long. I considered modifying the inserts, but then remembered that I don't own a lathe, and instead bought some M12 washers that'll fit over them. The inserts are 3mm too long, and the washers are 2mm thick, so one washer on either side should clamp the rubber nicely without damaging it.

I'll update when I have it installed. I've got the box pulled from the parts car. Hoping to get around to that project in the next week or three.

14 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Well, it's too late for Frenchy's truck, but I figured I'd update this in case anyone else is looking to replace their rag joint/coupler. I've got the Borgeson 000941 mounted to the coupler from my parts car, and it looks like it'll work with minimal bodging.

It doesn't come with the bolt hole inserts that are in the stock donut. Those inserts will fit, but the Borgeson is a little thinner than the stock donut, so they're a little too long. I considered modifying the inserts, but then remembered that I don't own a lathe, and instead bought some M12 washers that'll fit over them. The inserts are 3mm too long, and the washers are 2mm thick, so one washer on either side should clamp the rubber nicely without damaging it.

I'll update when I have it installed. I've got the box pulled from the parts car. Hoping to get around to that project in the next week or three.

Pic(s) or it didn't happen!