Body Mounts

Frenchy

So I recently got my hands on a complete set of OEM Type Body Mounts. Looking at them it looks like an interesting job to say the least.

Who has experience to state on how much of a "fun" job this is? Is it worth taking it to a local body shop so I don't have to deal with the headache?

And if you are wondering why I went with OEM type Body Mounts, that is due to wanting to restore comfort of the vehicle and not wanting to do a silly body lift(and it may restore the body height on the frame)

You're in for the same job as a body lift, minus the supporting mods to the fan shroud and fuel filler (though you may want to loosen those so you're not yanking anything when you jack up the body). I haven't done one, but from what I've read here, there's not much to it. Given how little you'll need to lift the body to slip the mounts out, you may not need to remove the front bumper brackets. The steering shaft may still put up a fight. It would be a good idea to have new bolts on hand, or at least have a plan for where to get them, in case the old ones do not come out politely or are otherwise not good enough to reuse.

Are the existing mounts collapsed?

If they are collapsed it is hard to tell. My thought is simple, the Pathfinder is 32 years old with almost 300,000 miles and I'm sure the mounts are past done to say the least. Because of this I'm sure it does attribute to the rough ride it has. In general the shocks I have now have made a difference, but I'm sure the body mounts and the suspension bushings will help all together when you get down too it.

• 4 weeks later...

My parents had one when they were brand new and I can assure you it was not the most soft smooth ride from the get go... Torsion bar front end is strong but a Cadillac like ride it does not provide.

• Haha 1

That doesn't mean I can't make an effort to improve the ride. I already installed some Dobinsons shocks on all four corners while already having the Sway-A-Way torsions and Old Man EMU coils. Compared to what was on there and the Old Man EMU Nitrocharger shocks, it was a big improvement. They shine OffRoad and on the street it's not too bad. I'm sure taking care of the body mounts and all my suspension bushings all together will make a big impact overall. It may not be like a Rolls Royce, but it will still be nice