Xterra rear diff in my '00 pathfinder

yourfriendjp

Last year I swapped a 2001 Xterra LSD rear diff into my pathfinder and I didn't consider gear ratio until I was scrolling through MPORA and doing some searches and found that some xterra ends were 4.9. So it could be 4.6 and it could be 4.9. How do I know what I have since I didn't log the donor vehicles details before I pulled it and I picked up from a yard so now that donor vehicle is long gone.

What are my options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the diff is already installed, to check your ratio, chock the front wheels, lift one rear tire, shift transmission to neutral. Put a piece of tape on the top of the pinion yoke. Spin the tire one full revolution and count the pinion rotations. Just over 2-1/4 rotations is 4.63. A smidge under 2.5 rotations is 4.9

• Like 2

If the diff is already installed, to check your ratio, chock the front wheels, lift one rear tire, shift transmission to neutral. Put a piece of tape on the top of the pinion yoke. Spin the tire one full revolution and count the pinion rotations. Just over 2-1/4 rotations is 4.63. A smidge under 2.5 rotations is 4.9

Its already installed. Ive had no issues. Lash is tight and crisp. I'm replacing my front diff cushion mounts very soon so I'll lift the rear and count the pinion rotations on one complete tire rotation and report back.

What performance difference should I expect if in fact I swapped in a 4.9 when the original was a 4.6?

59 minutes ago, XPLORx4 said:

Count the teeth on the ring gear. More teeth = higher numerically ratio. 

Not necessarily.

1 hour ago, yourfriendjp said:

Its hard to tell by the photo, I know.

Photo wouldn't help unless it was of the stamping on the ring gear.  The tooth counts are too similar to see a difference.

48 ring teeth : 11 pinion teeth = 4.363

51:11 = 4.636

49:10 = 4.9

2 minutes ago, yourfriendjp said:

What performance difference should I expect if in fact I swapped in a 4.9 when the original was a 4.6?

If the front and rear were mismatched, you'd feel driveline binding when in 4wd.

2001 Xterra didn't have 4.9.  If it came from an automatic or an SE, it's 4.636; if manual, 4.363

If the front and rear were mismatched, you'd feel driveline binding when in 4wd.
2001 Xterra didn't have 4.9.  If it came from an automatic or an SE, it's 4.636; if manual, 4.363

Ok. Well this resolves the issue completely because I have no binding in 4wd. My '00 R50 is AT and the donor was AT. So this would seem to resolve my concern.

I was reading elsewhere on NPORA that different trim levels of XTERRA had different rear diff ratios. Thats where I got the 4.9 from.

5 hours ago, yourfriendjp said:

Ok. Well this resolves the issue completely because I have no binding in 4wd. My '00 R50 is AT and the donor was AT. So this would seem to resolve my concern.

I was reading elsewhere on NPORA that different trim levels of XTERRA had different rear diff ratios. Thats where I got the 4.9 from.

Right on.

The 4.9s came in the latter years, I think just 03-04.  The other two ratios were always available for the entire 00-04 run. Ratio depended on trim, engine, and transmission. 

There's this post on clubxterra, of course no source but it falls in line with what I've heard over the years:

https://www.clubxterra.org/threads/super-packing-lsd-dif.34223/post-467172

I will say even though my 02 X is supposed to have one of the "good ones" it doesn't compare to the one my 95 pathfinder has (it is basically like locked rear end in the snow and wet weather).

Edited by adamzan