Truck Tent

LINDERS

anyone ever use one of these? do you like it? hate it?

http://www.mountainzone.com/gear/suv/explorer.html

I go camping all the time and have modified the inside of my vehicle to accommodate me and my stuff. I've almost completely stopped using my tent and only find that to be an issue when 1) someone else is with me and they can't fit in the back with me unless we're ok being so close or 2) I'm in a real buggy area. I've made screens for the other windows and sunroof but the hatch, I always had a problem with so I usually just close it. But then I'm a little squished. :hide: I was thinking about picking on of these tent things up. I figured for 100 bucks I couldn't really go wrong but thought i'd ask around anyway.... :)

just throw all your stuff in the front seat and sleep in the back.. thats what i do.. or if im with my buddies with a pick up truck i just un roll the sleeping bag in the bed... im what you can say white trash :D

I dunno if that would be a good thing, or a PITA.

I dont know how well the seal around the truck... (bugs) also, if you've been offroading (muddy offroading that is) you would have to be willing to put the tent around a muddy truck...

We just sleep in the back of the X or pathy, or take a 'regular' tent.

Both have advantages & disadvantages.

Have you removed your back seats? When I have them out, I fill the opening with my gear. Plenty of room for 2 large duffles. I also own a Thule roof box to throw messy stuff in. I wouldn't bother buying something that doesn't come all the way to the ground. Standing room is the biggest thing that I give up by sleeping in my Pathy. Since replacing my seat hings pins, I never use my small dome tent. Only use the big dome tent now. Only reason I bought a new tent was so that I could stand up in it.

I want to learn how to sew so that I can try to make one myself. Maybe even markey it. My gf's brother is a clothing designer and said that he would help. If it ever pans out, you guys will hear about it first.

The truck tent they made for the 2005 Xterra & pathy attaches to the back of the truck like that, but has a 10x10 foot area that goes to the ground... you can zip up the part that attaches to the truck & leave it standingon it's own...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=999T7-FPLT1

you cant really see how it attaches to the truck there...

There is a company in Australia that makes what looks like an awesome tent for 4wding. The are called OZTent RV and their website is http://www.oztent.com.au/default.asp.

It takes only a minute to put up and is expandable.

Don't know if they have a distributer in the US but could worth a look.

Cheers

Al

I haven't taken the rear seats out, i just fold them down flat and have an old futon mattress that i trimmed to fit perfectly around the wheel wells (and yes, it folds neatly in the very back of the truck so i can still flip the seats up if i want) It's perfectly comfortable in there. I have a nice step up so it's not weird getting in the back and if i want to stand up...why the heck am I in the car? so I get out and stand all i want :-) I have rigged a "roof" coming off the hatch and can use poles or tie it to a tree so i have a little area of shade, or protection from the sun, where i can set up a chair and small table, cooler and such.... I'm really only in there to sleep.

That Oztent 4 is awesome! but a 1000 bucks. ouch.

and i think the one "designed" for the 2005 pathy et al is this one

http://www.tentsfortrucks.com/?source=truck

I think I"ll order the little one...hell, if i don't like it i can always return it...and if i do...i'll tell you all about it :-)