Questions about adding an upgraded bumper

I just got back from a collision repair shop, and they told me getting a tough metal bumper that bolts directly to the frame is a horrible idea. They said that in a crash as slow as 5mph you can tweak or crack the frame since the bumper doesnt give whatsoever. I was originally going to order a shrockworks Xterra bumper and make it fit, but after seeing Pezzy's T15 I may go that route. I know on the Xterra you can crank the torsion bars if the front end sags, but can you do this on our cars? I have no idea whether or not the pathfinders have torsion bars :wacko: I have just over 106k on my 2000 and I'm hoping the front end wont sag too much with 150 pounds added to it. Also, why can't I find a TJM T15 bumper in black? It seems like all there is available is chrome? Thanks a bunch for any help.

Tyler

Guest CRAZ4SNO

due to a lack of interest in the T15 for the Pathy... TJM has made the decision to discontinue it.

we got lucky and won the one that was on e-bay!!

as for the suspension... we added the 2" lift kit from AC with the KYB struts and Bilstein shox!

The 96+ pathy's dont have torsion bars. For lift, like C4S said, you need to upgrade the coils... there's some info on the lifts here:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4686

also, do a search here, you'll probably find more info.

Unfortunaly, the TJM is no longer in production, so you have to be lucky to find one... ARB Makes a bumper for the 99.5-2004, but it weighs a ton, and costs a few pretty pennies (hence I went with TJM)

The irony of TJM's decision to discontinue production was because they released and marketed the product before there was demand for the bumpers. Now that the off-road R50 market has matured, and there's increased demand, it's too late. Kind short-sighted if you ask me.

Thanks for all the replies. If anyone sees one for sale and your not planning on buying it PLEASE let me know as I'm in search for one. Does anyone have any information regarding the frame being damaged in an accident by adding a solid, steel bumper? I just looked on TJM's site at a guy who hit a deer doing 75 and didn't say it did any damage, but hitting something more solid could do some damage.

Thanks,

Tyler

Thanks for all the replies. If anyone sees one for sale and your not planning on buying it PLEASE let me know as I'm in search for one. Does anyone have any information regarding the frame being damaged in an accident by adding a solid, steel bumper? I just looked on TJM's site at a guy who hit a deer doing 75 and didn't say it did any damage, but hitting something more solid could do some damage.

Thanks,

Tyler

Yeah I dunno about that story...maybe a little exaggerated...75mph? Maybe as it was being told over and over, someone added an extra 5mph for each time it was told. LOL.

Regardless, if you hit something thats standing still, going 75mph, there is going to be damage.

DJ Dank,

I should have phrased that better :D It ended up completely smashing the TJM bumper, broke some lights and not sure what else. When I said there didn't appear to be any damage, I meant to refer to the frame. I'm just trying to avoid bending or cracking my frame if I ever get in a small fender bender..... :hide:

Tyler