Modified Pathies

Vsicks Pathy

nissan4wheelers.com has a good selection of SAS Nissans and engine swap rigs. They're mostly around Arizona and run desert trails and such. There's a few posts that document their fab work. Look for "The White Mess" topic where a guy rescued his Pathy from a substandard offroad fab shop. He and his buddies pulled all the crap work the shop did off and built a good looking SAS Pathy in a couple weekends or so. Lots of pics, too.

I'd also have to say N4W is a great site for what you are looking for. In the Calgary Nissan 4x4 club, we have 3 Sas'd Pathys and a couple of Sas'd Toyotas - not much floats around tech wise on our site because we're so small and all local. Actually, come to think of it, we just talk all about that stuff at wing night :D

that big Pathy is here in Cali..and I can GUARANTEE you that thing wouldn't pass smog.. or..if it does still have the stock motor... manages 0-60 in 5 minutes...... -thnkboutit-

nissan4wheelers.com has a good selection of SAS Nissans and engine swap rigs. They're mostly around Arizona and run desert trails and such. There's a few posts that document their fab work. Look for "The White Mess" topic where a guy rescued his Pathy from a substandard offroad fab shop. He and his buddies pulled all the crap work the shop did off and built a good looking SAS Pathy in a couple weekends or so. Lots of pics, too.

Good site, thanks.

I'd also have to say N4W is a great site for what you are looking for. In the Calgary Nissan 4x4 club, we have 3 Sas'd Pathys and a couple of Sas'd Toyotas - not much floats around tech wise on our site because we're so small and all local. Actually, come to think of it, we just talk all about that stuff at wing night :D

Mookie, you used tp have a 3" BL on yours didn't you? Did you finally take it out?

first, i'd say learn how to drive a stock rig before plunking big $$ for stuff you may never really use or need.. stock truck is pretty amasing.. you should have seen me yesterday.. the heepers were rather impressed.. i followed a bunch of built up rigs and did everything but the waterfall which i am planning on next time i am there... lol

I'd also have to say N4W is a great site for what you are looking for. In the Calgary Nissan 4x4 club, we  have 3 Sas'd Pathys and a couple of Sas'd Toyotas - not much floats around tech wise on our site because we're so small and all local. Actually, come to think of it, we just talk all about that stuff at wing night  :D

Mookie, you used tp have a 3" BL on yours didn't you? Did you finally take it out?

Helloooo,

Yes I used to have a 3" body lift. I took it out a week after I did the sas. It was too tall - didn't need it anymore.

there are many trade-offs when lifting.. be sure to weigh all the options...

Explain the trade offs to me please because I have not found any.

I have not looked back since I lifted the Pathy. It is more off road tollerant and capable in every aspect.

Besides that, I had to lift the body to fit the engine in.

The live axle and suspension setup to suit only has me about another 5" higher than stock. So at 8" all up its not too high at all. The 33's I have on do not look to big or to small for the car either. I will see how the 35" muddies look before I buy them. I may just put 34's on instead.

To sum up my Mods, they were done for a reason on each occasion.

The live axle because the IFS is shlt and break all of the time, and the body lift for the motor fitment. Being able to increased tyre size is just a bonus.

Maybe he is talking about the 'trade offs' like not as good road manners, and increased center of gravity.

Pfft...I call it having a beast of a truck...instead a car with big wheels.

On road is fine too. It would be better if I had the sway bars connected but its much of a muchness.

all those etc.. mpgs go to sh!ts.. i am not saying one shouldn't lift.. just saying don't put the cart in front of the horse.. if you're not familiar with your truck a lift and all the goodies may only get you stuck further in the wilderness...

all those etc.. mpgs go to sh!ts.. i am not saying one shouldn't lift.. just saying don't put the cart in front of the horse.. if you're not familiar with your truck a lift and all the goodies may only get you stuck further in the wilderness...

My fuel consumption is very good actually. Much better now with the V6 than it was when it was a 4cyl. The 4cyl was very under powered, the Nissan V6 too is under powered. To get anywhere with those donks you have to really push them, thats why they are poor in the fuel area. When I upgraded the engine it made first gear redundant. It is amazing what torque can do for you. The 33's just make it usable and I can still take off in second with a little more clutch of course. 35's should give me back my aspect ratio (with that better fuel ecconomy again) but I fear they will look too big on my car.

Yes, a higher CoG can make it easier to tip on a track but lets face it, you prime objective is to keep the 4wd as level as possible. If you cross axle into a deep rut you may pay the price lift or no lift.

Yes, the more capable you make your Pathy the further you can go into the bush. The further into the bush the rougher things can get. That's why people have recovery gear.

I myself never go 4wding without the following:

1. Hand winch (hydraulic winch one day :Magic: )

2. Tree trunk protector

3. Chain (5mtr and 15mtr)

4. Snatch stap (5mtr and 10mtr)

5. Hand saw

6. Shovel

7. Socket and spanner set

8. Spare hoses, belts, fuses, clamps and torch

9. Exhaust jack.

10. First aid kit

11. A bottle of whisky. (well, you never know -alcohol- )

Before the live axle I used to carry a spare idler arm and tie rod too.

You would be pretty foolish to go bush and not have the gear with you to get yourself out.

1. Hand winch (hydraulic winch one day  )

2. Tree trunk protector

5. Hand saw

6. Shovel

9. Exhaust jack.

10. First aid kit

11. A bottle of whisky. (well, you never know  )

You would be pretty foolish to go bush and not have the gear with you to get yourself out.

Ahh, well, a lot of people don't have all that, but like to go recreational wheeling anyway (you forgot tire plug kit and air pump.. JK... I like the exhaust jack and will get one; very useful for many things... like getting 88 off of a tree stump)

I think what MZ is saying is no matter how mod'd your Pathy is, if you dont know how to drive it/read terrain you will still wind into trouble. While you say that decent mods are only effective, but you stilll should have proper gear (recovery and personal) if you venture out.

I couldn't agree more with both of you... Mods dont do much if you just charge into everything, and while a normal pathy can get places, the best driver won't get as far as they want... The trick is to have 2 Pathys; mod one and keep the other simple.

I crashed my pathy, and after 2 shops the front frame is out enough for me not to want drive it this way soooo, for almost the price of having it 'properly repaired' I could SAS it myself (with a bit of help of course...). All I have to do is find a different pathy for 'normal' use... Do I go for a 96+ auto that the GF can drive, or do I stick with the 95- MT that I understand and like ? Hard choice...

Bernard

1. Hand winch (hydraulic winch one day  )

2. Tree trunk protector

5. Hand saw

6. Shovel

9. Exhaust jack.

10. First aid kit

11. A bottle of whisky. (well, you never know  )

Ahh, well, a lot of people don't have all that, but like to go recreational wheeling anyway (you forgot tire plug kit and air pump.. JK... I like the exhaust jack and will get one; very useful for many things... like getting 88 off of a tree stump)

I think what MZ is saying is no matter how mod'd your Pathy is, if you dont know how to drive it/read terrain you will still wind into trouble. While you say that decent mods are only effective, but you stilll should have proper gear (recovery and personal) if you venture out.

I couldn't agree more with both of you... Mods dont do much if you just charge into everything, and while a normal pathy can get places, the best driver won't get as far as they want... The trick is to have 2 Pathys; mod one and keep the other simple.

I crashed my pathy, and after 2 shops the front frame is out enough for me not to want drive it this way soooo, for almost the price of having it 'properly repaired' I could SAS it myself (with a bit of help of course...). All I have to do is find a different pathy for 'normal' use... Do I go for a 96+ auto that the GF can drive, or do I stick with the 95- MT that I understand and like ? Hard choice...

Bernard

Why couldn't you use your (Hopefully SAS'ed) pathy for everyday driving? I use mine everyday. When I get the muddies I will just swap them over when I am not going bush.

I carry a spare. So no need for a tyre repair kit or a compressor. ;)

Edited by Vsicks Pathy