5 speed transmission fluid

Frenchy

Alrighty, so as we all know Nissan Manual Transmissions take GL-4 for certain reason. It is also known that some will ask for ATF(DEXRON 3). I didnt see it in the book but I am curious if anyone has attempted to use ATF in their 5 Speed? If so what was the outcome?

I would not do that in these transmissions. They have enough problems with people using GL5 and a thin fluid like that in an older design transmission would lead to higher wear more quickly. Personally I use redline MT90 and it has kept mine alive for the 10 years I have owned it (had auto pathy's before then).

This is just my opinion of course.

• Like 1

I will doubt the more wear from a thinner fluid. Why you ask? There are older transmissions(look at the 4 and 5 speex from the early Z cars) that say 80-90 GL4 or ATF(usually DEXRON 3). That is why i am curious. As for potential damage? Well I already plan to replace the transmission with a rebuilt one anyway. Synchro 4 is having some issues.

I remember someone asking about it, but I don't remember anyone trying it. I doubt the bearings and gears would mind. No idea on the synchros. I know other boxes run ATF, including the T-5 in my dad's hot rod. If it was mine, and it worked alright, I'd stick with the standard oil. But it's not mine, and it has to come out anyway, so... send it and let us know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...